Is SF more strict than it used to be?

That's good advice.. easier said than done, but good advice all the same.

I know it can be very difficult :) . Users also need to remember that we don't sit and read the forum, and if an offensive post or thread is left running, we aren't 'ignoring' it, we just haven't seen it. If it isn't reported, we often have no idea it's there.

I may be accused of being ignorant but,

who actually owns the forum and decides whether a thread is viable or not?

who is the don of SF?

when advertisers pay for adverts who profits from the money?

Being ignorant of what ? why do some people think they have the right to an explanation of how a forums being run and who profits, I'm not being charged anything for using the forum, are you ?

The forum owner, who pays all of the bills from the proceeds of advertising on the site and the like, no longer uses the forum on a day to day basis and concentrates on the technical and physical stuff like software, hardware and servers only. He's the one who has to pay for horribly expensive licenses for programs and the band width costs and I think that this is a completely valid use of the advertising costs.

I am the manager of the forum and take all of the 'people based' decisions and managing. I, like every other member of the team, am a volunteer and do the job in my spare time for no reward other than the knowledge that we're helping the place run for the benefit of the community.

The moderating, admin, AM and GL team is approaching 50 people these days and none of these people receive any pay for doing the job.

BTW- if you approach the forum with the attitude that the mod team are power junkies who exist to make your life hell as you have expressed on another post, then you're likely to find yourself coming head to head with forum rules in fairly short order. Please remember that on a private forum everybody posts as a guest of the site owner and at his discretion and we reserve the right to withdraw this discretion if we see fit. Play the game and enjoy the forum without attacking the team please.

What the money is spent on was not an issue I just wondered who the money went to and you answered the question. It is a single man that owns this forum. Which also answered the other question who owns this forum.

Thanks for the answers. The part about attacking the team wasnt meant as an attack just that certain MODS are much more handy at deleting threads than others.

For a forum that's so horribly harsh and unfair on its members, it's astonishing that a core of folk apparently dislike it so much that they keep on boosting those user number figures by signing up time and time again, week after week. Such masochism!

The majority of threads that are closed are either duplicate threads and this is usually stated. Or have received so many on thread moderator notes that a final explanation on thread isn't needed.

If theyre duplicates or threads asking the same question, instead of closing them, why not merge threads and pm the the thread started to say your thread has been merged due to it being a duplicate? I think for a lot of people who lack experience with using message boards, merging and explaining why the merge is much more helpful than just closing the thread. Some people arent aware of the search or how it works (and its doesnt really stand out, though that might be due to the fact youre using a hacked old VB theme)

This isnt my main forum, but its not the only one that uses VBulletin. This is a feature that needs to be used more instead of either closing or deleting threads for no reason.

I know you guys do all the modding in your own time, its appreciated. I do think how the forum is modded could be done in a much more clearer manner considering not everyone who uses the site are not as internet savy as others.

Type- 'Grahame' in the search facility. I think you'll find no end of arguing and name calling which as bee over looked on countless occasions even when mods have participated in it.

Again i'm not commenting on specific users or threads. However, a 'standard' user has no way of knowing what contact has been made between mods, admin and the people concerned. You have no idea of who has been spoken to, warned or even banned unless they openly tell you such. Just because someone is still on the forum does not mean that nothing has been done.

Also, as i've already said, any mod who has participated in a thread is not going to remove posts, edit posts which aren't their own or delete the thread except in exceptional circumstances where the need is urgent and there are no other mods or admin available online. This though would be an extremely rare occurrence.

The same members that wished suffering, pain and death on the piece of scum that placed the cat in the wheely bin you mean.

As i've said, I cannot comment on threads that I haven't personally dealt with. But we all follow the same rules of moderation.

What the money is spent on was not an issue I just wondered who the money went to and you answered the question. It is a single man that owns this forum. Which also answered the other question who owns this forum.

Thanks for the answers. The part about attacking the team wasnt meant as an attack just that certain MODS are much more handy at deleting threads than others.

How on earth do you know this if there's no communication about deletion of threads? A bit of a dichotomy there, you don't know who deletes the threads but there are certain mods that delete more than others. :huh:

You also claim to know an awful lot about the moderating of the forum for someone who only registered last night clownaround. Is there something that you ought to be consulting the admin team about at the Helpdesk, I wonder?

Archived