Is SF more strict than it used to be?

Where are the rules because all I can find are these, yet people get banned for all sorts of reasons. Where are the others about belittling and harassment etc.?

Comply with our terms of use listed above.

- Not contain multiple words in capital letters unless an acronym.

- Not be written entirely in bold.

- Be written in English and avoid excessive ‘txt’ speech (L8R, Wknd, etc).

- Contribute to the discussion. Personal messages to other users is not allowed.

- Not be duplicated, i.e. posting the same message in multiple areas or times.

- Not artificially ‘bump’ an existing topic to the top of the list of topics.

- Have, when starting a new discussion, a descriptive and informative subject.

I don't think SF is more strict than it used to be. What I suspect has happened is that over the years SF has developed a regulatory culture which is well understood by most users, so that the latter, consciously or not, impose upon themselves a form of self-regulation, in that they know what is likely to be acceptable on SF and what is not. The ones who do not or cannot accept this culture move on or are banned.

I think this is very true. This thread is a prime example. It has run to 150 posts and I can tell you that there hasn't been a single deletion along the way, so well done to everyone (so far!) for remaining rational, putting your points across in a constructive way, and allowing what I hope is a progressive dialogue. :)

Where are the rules because all I can find are these, yet people get banned for all sorts of reasons. Where are the others about belittling and harassment etc.?

- Contribute to the discussion. Personal messages to other users is not allowed.

There's a whole page above that list!

Scroll right to the very very bottom of the page and there is a link to the terms. Or here you go: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/terms

EDIT: you mean like this bit:

Users agree to use this site for lawful purposes only. Users shall not post or transmit through this site any material which violates or infringes in any way upon the rights of others, which is unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, confidential, vulgar, obscene, profane or otherwise objectionable, which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any law.

That is what I am looking at. Where does it say about insulting people and making rude comments and harassment etc.

which is unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, confidential, vulgar, obscene, profane or otherwise objectionable

I think that pretty much covers it.

Archived