Is SF more strict than it used to be?

Originally Posted by sTaGeWaLkEr

Hi Raquel!

:)

This is an example of what I mean. Apparently it is against forum rules to reveal a persons real name unless they disclose it themselves, but I cannot find it for love or money.

The user said that with them, you got what you saw. Her avatar is a picture of Raquel Welch. I said 'Hi Raquel'.

Do keep up! :)

So whose name did I reveal?

I didn't break any rules - please don't suggest that I did.

I started a thread in general discussions a couple of weeks ago.

This was to debate wether there could be an argument for creating another topic between 'general' and 'I'm bored' for threads that fit neither category.

This was rather quickly moved to 'suggestions' .... how can you have a general discussion there?!

My threads can take a while to write as I put some thought into it. I don't think they should be put in 'I'm bored' next to 'ten favourite hamsters'

Neither do they fit in 'general'.

I've had a thread closed down immediately after posting, for no given reason.

Most of my threads get removed to 'I'm bored'

I started a thread on New years eve at about Quarter to midnight (on general), this was to wish everyone on the forum a happy new year.

It wasn't long before a mod said they would allow it for the rest of the night but it would probably be removed to 'celebrations' in the morning! So far as I was concerned I considered it to be mean spirited!

I now feel I'm wasting my time creating threads so I shan't be posting them anymore.

I know other people get fustrated about these things too from PM's.

I realise a lot of people feel my threads to be daft and will be happy to see the back of me, in honesty I just like to make people smile!

The thing that really interests me is why the moderators do it? What's in it? I would have thought it's a pretty thankless task being a moderator.

So, does any moderator want to reply? I would be interested to know why you want to be a moderator as it must be very time consuming and probably takes away a lot of the enjoyment of participating in the forum.

I agreed to do my bit because I've enjoyed using the forum and saw it as a way of giving a bit back. The forum won't work without a mod team, so when I was asked, I said yes. Medusa is quite persuasive too.

It is interesting as well, but really frustrating at times. I particularly dislike the fact that some posters think that I should rein in my opinions just because I'm an Assistant Mod. From that point of view, it does take away the fun of contributing, but those posters are few and far between ( and usually Barty :cool:)

This was to debate wether there could be an argument for creating another topic between 'general' and 'I'm bored' for threads that fit neither category.

This was rather quickly moved to 'suggestions' .... how can you have a general discussion there?!

My threads can take a while to write as I put some thought into it. I don't think they should be put in 'I'm bored' next to 'ten favourite hamsters'

I started a thread on New years eve at about Quarter to midnight (on general), this was to wish everyone on the forum a happy new year.

It wasn't long before a mod said they would allow it for the rest of the night but it would probably be removed to 'celebrations' in the morning! So far as I was concerned I considered it to be mean spirited!

I now feel I'm wasting my time creating threads so I shan't be posting them anymore.

I realise a lot of people feel my threads to be daft and will be happy to see the back of me, in honesty I just like to make people smile!

Your posts are well thought out and very witty and I don't know how you think it all up, and they make me smile. The thing is you are giving of yourself and it is like someone has slapped you in the face when that happens. I know what you mean. :)

Does it matter which section you make people smile in?

Except that is where she wants it and it answers the thread question as to whether SF is more strict than it used to be, because it is like you are being dictated to and are being told what to do.

Why?

Yes, but there is every sort of user and I am thinking it can be clarified and simplified.

Why not have a stab at doing so and submit it to the mods as a suggestion?

To be fair trying to come up with a completely plain english set of t's and c's for a forum which covers everything from the merits of a particular takeaway to an escaped gerbil to ongoing murder investigations to what peoples favoutire colour is would not be easy.

A lot of forums do have a "sticky" read this before posting plain english guide with a link to the detailed legal t's and c's - I'm sure people would appreciate it if you could come up with one which covered the legal points in a very clear manner. :)

Oi, no I say!

I was just walking home and was considering asking you to write me something (but i'm not quite ready yet), so you must do something right!

Archived