Is SF more strict than it used to be?

Where it fails is in the area of political discussion. When I first joined I was shocked by how right wing and aggressive the people I share this city with are. I'm also not impressed with the aggression and hatred from the more left wing posters either, even though that's my natural political leaning.

So, I find SF a great resource for local knowledge, but a very poor place for any sort of political debate.

People are people, they have their views. It would be and is rather unreasonable to expect a forum to alter the political views of a city to suit you, or indeed anyone else.

Not so much offensive as in very poor taste. Along with a lot of the regulars on the Pet Group, I've been involved in animal rescue and tend to find jokes about animals suffering not terribly amusing.

Perhaps it's a failing on my part, but I just don't think it was (a) funny or (b) appropriate.

I'm sure that if I went onto the Football forum and said football was a total waste of time and all football fans are neanderthals, in a joking manner, then my post would be quickly removed.

I posted what I considered to be light hearted comment into a debate discussing and discribing various acts of vengance upon the wheely bin lady. Am I missing something here?

Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion bizzle. Would you want it any other way?

You are right everyone is entitled to a opinion & I am not disputing that. I am referring to how people (FYI this is not aimed at you :)) moan about the forum in general or how it is run. If they don't like it that much why continue to post?

The thing that really interests me is why the moderators do it? What's in it? I would have thought it's a pretty thankless task being a moderator.

So, does any moderator want to reply? I would be interested to know why you want to be a moderator as it must be very time consuming and probably takes away a lot of the enjoyment of participating in the forum.

I can tell you why I give my time to SF. It's to do with the community which comes together after the floods, after snowfall, to help someone who really needs help (usually without meeting others, just online). To me that is the real purpose of SF and helping that continue to function is my reason.

I posted what I considered to be light hearted comment into a debate discussing and discribing various acts of vengance upon the wheely bin lady. Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are! And I find it a little difficult to believe that you really don't understand why a "light hearted comment" would be unwelcome and inappropriate in such a debate.

You are right everyone is entitled to a opinion & I am not disputing that. I am referring to how people (FYI this is not aimed at you :)) moan about the forum in general or how it is run. If they don't like it that much why continue to post?
Members views on SF and the way it's moderated are based on their personal experiences. Your experience will no doubt differ to someone else's so you're not really in any position to criticise anyone who complains... :)

Yes, you are! And I find it a little difficult to believe that you really don't understand why a "light hearted comment" would be unwelcome and inappropriate in such a debate.
A debate fueled by anger and vengeance towards the wheely bin lady. Was I so wrong to try and lighten the mood?

Members views on SF and the way it's moderated are based on their personal experiences. Your experience will no doubt differ to someone else's so you're not really in any position to criticise anyone who complains... :)

Fair enough but there is a difference I was not criticising I was just curious/asking :) Thank you for answering my query :)

Archived