Is SF more strict than it used to be?

I think they try to have someone as a Mod thats on a different time zone for the late night posters, that can't be too easy, well thats just a guess anyhow :)

Mods can be online at any time. It all depends on when their free time is.

I was still up and around on the forum at stupid o clock this morning but only because I was trying to sort out my kids laptops. I moderate at all different times of day and night, it depends what i'm up to offline :).

In answer to the original question, no I don't believe SF has become more strict than it used to be.

As the number of members expands, the number of posts and, or threads being edited or removed will also increase thus making moderation more noticable.

Moderating isn't just about banning those who are out to cause trouble or removing threads which descend into personal abuse, there's also the little things that make a big difference to the forum eg. removing spam, correcting titles, moving threads to the correct part of the forum and so on.

I don't believe anyone who has never been a mod understands just how much there is to do behind the scenes. I certainly didn't realise exactly how much admin and mods did before I became one.

I really admire Admin for the time they have to put in. Not only do the have the helpdesk to attend to, there's also the reports that mods can't action without them.

Users have to remember that we are all human, with lives, jobs, families etc. We don't always sign in with the intention of modding, occasionally we like to join in too :). Although my usual 'log in for a quick look' usually turns into a I'll post as a user but just check the reports whilst i'm here!

It's understandable that with so many members, am's, mods and admin aren't going to be everyones flavour of the month!

We do what we can to help the forum run smoothly making it an enjoyable and informative resource for all members. One point to remember is that SF is not a public forum but a private one :).

My bold

And that changes the way it's moderated in what way exactly?

Most users(myself included)are fed up with moderaters closing threads without offering some kind of explanation as to why they've closed it. Half of the time there's no apparent reason.

Can you expand on that please, if you have time of course :D

If I can :).

We hear so often the line 'what about freedom of speech' which works fine on public forums. Being a private forum the rules are generally tighter than that of a public forum.

You say all the right things don't you shaznay. Well done.

what do you mean...:huh: just because Im not having a go at em

I wouldnt be a mod for all the tea in china....so thanks to those who do or there would be no forum at all :)

My bold

And that changes the way it's moderated in what way exactly?

Most users(myself included)are fed up with moderaters closing threads without offering some kind of explanation as to why they've closed it. Half of the time there's no apparent reason.

Please note my reply to Jongo above. The rules on a private forum are more stringent with regards to what topics are posted than they are on a public forum.

The majority of threads that are closed are either duplicate threads and this is usually stated. Or have received so many on thread moderator notes that a final explanation on thread isn't needed.

If at any time you are unhappy with a moderators decision you only have to let us know, nicely of course :). A thread is never closed without a good reason for doing so.

what do you mean...:huh: just because Im not having a go at em

I wouldnt be a mod for all the tea in china....so thanks to those who do or there would be no forum at all :)

Not everyone that has a complaint about moderating issues is out to cause trouble as you suggested. It's inevitable that some discussions will become heated at times simply because most users prefer to hold discussions on subjects other than what our favorite colour is or what we're having for tea.

Please note my reply to Jongo above. The rules on a private forum are more stringent with regards to what topics are posted than they are on a public forum.

The majority of threads that are closed are either duplicate threads and this is usually stated. Or have received so many on thread moderator notes that a final explanation on thread isn't needed.

If at any time you are unhappy with a moderators decision you only have to let us know, nicely of course :). A thread is never closed without a good reason for doing so.

Thanks for the explanation on the other post ;)

This bit here though, this does get my goat and other people too, the "moderator notes" are generally aimed at one or two people on a given thread and yet instead of just banning the said people, the thread gets pulled, therefore stopping all the other posters from using it.

Its so blatant when certain posters go on a thread of a particular topic over and over again just to cause an argument to get the thread closed.

Is there no other way of saving these threads, other than just closing them?

I know Medusa has explained this to a point, saying that its usually down to the work involved in going through pages of posts, but some of these threads are only two or three pages long at the time of closing, so that reason isnt really valid

Thanks ;)

Not everyone that has a complaint about moderating issues is out to cause trouble as you suggested. It's inevitable that some discussions will become heated at times simply because most users prefer to hold discussions on subjects other than what our favorite colour is or what we're having for tea.

No need to get sarky Danot, this thread is going well so far, we dont want this one closing ;)

I believe mine was. <Are humans 'by nature' bisexual?> I saw no reason for it's removal, nor was there any explanation given.

Archived