Typhoo Johnny from Intake

bullerboY

A few years ago we were on a coach tour that stopped at Calais at the Hotel Moderne on stopping we noticed a Radio Sheffield advert in the window suddenly this man jumps on the caoch and introduces himself as Typhoo Johnny and you could have a biiig english brekky with as much toast and Typhoo as you could eat and drink for six quid and a wash and brush up but not to use the beds.He was a very flambouyant and on talking to him he said he came from Sheffield,so when i said oh ahr he said yes I was brought up by my grandmother on Mansfield rd at Intake and I used to have a secondhand furniture shop at Eckington.Does anybody on here know him or been to Hotel Moderne.We found out later why the brekkys were cheap and why we couldn't use the beds,i'll leave that to you to work out,oh and he used to run booze trips from Sheffield to the hotel,all you could drink for 40 pound but you paid for extras.What a guy!

Archived