Washing machine freezing problems.

So late December's cold snap screwed my washing machine over a couple of times. The first time, the pipe feeding the water into the machine froze solid, then when it defrosted, it left a couple of nice cracks in the pipe for me, completely flooding the washroom. I got some new pipe from Wickes and fixed it up probably better than it was actually put together so no problems there.

The washing machine would not spin after this, so I left an electric heater in the room to dry everything out. Next time I tried it, normal service resumed. Yeay.

The week after was the silly cold one, when it was -16 overnight. Me and my girlfriend got up, fed the pets and went out for the day. We returned to a flooded washroom once again. This time it was different though, the pipes were all fine and water was spraying out the bottom of the machine itself. I shut the water off and started clearing the flood, eventually getting to the machine itself. The machine was filled to the brim with water that was so hot it was bubbling. I used the spin setting to drain the machine, turned it off and took the clothes out. Most of the clothes were ruined, it seems like they had been sat in very hot water since we went out pretty much, the dye had run out of anything coloured and stained anything that was light coloured.

I took the top off the machine and pretended I knew what I was doing again. The cause of problem was pretty obvious. One of the water inlet valves was in two pieces. It would seem that water inside the valve must have frozen and forced the plastic to seperate at the seam. This meant the machine was not able to shut the valve off so the water will have been constantly running through, while the immersion heater was on the entire time. :(

Getting hold of one of the valves wont be a problem, I looked on ebay and they are only a couple of quid. However, the machine wont spin once again. Ive dried it out thoroughly and this time its not having it.

Im unsure as to what would be the best thing to do now and would appreciate any advice you can offer. Should I claim on my house insurance for a new washing machine? could I include the clothes and the electric used by the immersion heater for the entire day in that claim? Does anybody have any clue as to what might be wrong with the machine? To be honest if i could just get to the stage where I dont have to take my washing to my neighbours house I would be happy. Thanks in advance.

p.s. the machine broke a few years ago, it turned out to be a circuit board unit near to the motor. It had very similar symptons to what the machine does now (everything but spin). A new circuit board will be a bit too pricey of a part for how old the machine is ... this is the part. http://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/ys74644/digital-module-remco-5506-HPTC00049373.aspx

I took it out and inspected it, it does have an interesting looking rusty bit. Like a big grey sausage shaped thing, maybe a capacitor or something (I have no idea what im saying). I dunno, maybe its not that bit thats the fault.

• 3 months later...

Hi & apologies as I have only just come across your post. I'm sure that you will have had this looked at by now, but if for any reason you haven't or just for future reference, please keep my details to hand. I offer a free call out and free estimate service. I will come out and look at the appliance and give you a quote to repair. It's down to you whether or not you decide to proceed with the repair, their is no obligation. Thanks Craig.

Archived