Frost-free freezer works and fridge does not work

I have problem with my about 2 years old frost-free fridge/freezer, Servis M7554-2FF.

Problem started with an excessive noise ( sounded as running a fan ) The noise stopped as the fridge door was opened but it remained noisy when freezer door was opened. In this condition both fridge and freezer worked but the temperature lights i.e. min,med and max flashing from one condition to another instead of a stable light indicating the set temperature. After about 4-6 weeks operating in this condition, fridge and top two drawers of the freezer became warm. I turned the appliance off and contacted a number of local engineers, explained the condition but non of them was prepared to come to look at it in view to repair it in particularly after knowing the frost-free model advising me to scrap it and buy a new one!

As I mentioned earlier, it it is just over two years old and do not want to scrap it unless it is confirmed that it is beyond economical repair.

I turned it on after having switched off about 2 weeks, there is no noise other than usual compressor running noise. Whole of the freezer compartment works perfect as I have tried it by placing ice making trays in each of the drawers. The fridge's temperature monitored with a potable thermometer as 10 deg C which is obviously not right. I cannot locate a thermostatic control for fridge other than the three indicating lights at the front top panel of the appliance.

The manufacturer, Servis have gone into liquidation but the Servis products are still available at some retail outlets.

Any advice or help in order to identify cause of the fault would be appreciated.

I had a very similar problem with a Bosch Frost free fridge-freezer. The freezer worked perfectly, whilst the fridge didn't get cold.

It turned out to be a design fault which they actually cameout and repaired for me free of charge.

there was a problem with the evaporation mechanism which was getting clogged, and not letting the fluid drain away to the plate on top of the motor, and causing somethng to freeze up.

It was purchased from Dixon on line who are unable to help as the appliance is not under warranty and have advised to call any local engineer

Ring Dixons customer services again if you think its an inherent fault, the numbers on the website

The fan in the freezer was cause of the problem. Its plastic blade had been catching the fan assembly as about 1/8th of each of the blades were lost. The fan motor blades and all of the surrounding found covered with dust produced as results of wearing out the blades. Some of the blades were shaped as a hook stuck to the fan assembly preventing it to run! I have tried to purchase new blades without any joy so far. Its diameter is 100mm and the 3mm spindle hole. In the mean time I have cleaned the dust and smoothed the hooked blades creating about similar shape of each blade. The blade fits over the fan motor spindle satisfactorily i.e. it is good tight fit. An unusual wearing of the blades is still mystery!

I have tried running the fridge/freezer for about two days without placing any contents other than ice making trays and found it satisfactory so far.

Does any body know where can I purchase the fan blade from?

Finally I must thank all of the fellow members of the forum who have tried to help me.

Archived