Outstanding Food The Nags Head Loxley/Bradfield!

Smack Jack

What are you suggesting, that I'm some sort of Bradfield 'plant'

I've been drinking there, usually in the summer, for over 25 years. It's a pleasant 5 mile return walk from my house, hence the summer visits.

Since Bradfield took it over, the beer has improved no end. Hardly surprising when it's gone from 1 cask ale that was Kimberley to 6 cask ales as a 'brewery tap'. I now regularly have a walk out there at all times of the year, the last time being Boxing Day afternoon.

The food has been hit and miss since I've been going in. Since Bradfield Brewery took the pub the food has always been superb.

I wasn't suggesting anything about you. Twas about the OP

I wasn't suggesting anything about you. Twas about the OP

Thats the trouble with the forum cynics. Nobody can like anything without owning it or having a vested interest. Read my posts. I'm in the car trade and like a meal out thats all. My contributions on various food topics on here may confirm that for you.

Steak pie at the Nags is the best I've ever had (even better than my Mums). Would never eat in the Horns again after the last meal we had there - it was awful! My answer to the standard question "Did you enjoy your meals" was "No" - this was totally ignored so needless to say we won't be eating their again.

Steak pie at the Nags is the best I've ever had (even better than my Mums). Would never eat in the Horns again after the last meal we had there - it was awful! My answer to the standard question "Did you enjoy your meals" was "No" - this was totally ignored so needless to say we won't be eating their again.

Careful Damo will be accusing you of sleeping with someone from Bradfield Brewery next :hihi:

I am only kidding I am not wound up and hes probably joking anyway but you gotta have a swipe back

Just been today. Unfortunately they weren't doing food as they've just changed to different food serving times.

Yesterday their web site still showed them doing lunches today, it has been updated now!

Has a lovely lunch at the Plough instead, who were very busy.

Always been impressed with the beer and the welcome in The Nags Head. Never had a proper meal in there, only sandwiches, but they've always been good and I've jealously watched the pies and roasts etc being delivered to other people.

I think thats my point with the horns. I mean it wasnt truly revolting but its a stunning pub with great views and something a little more than warmed up freezer food and prebagged salad is required to make it great and it just didnt deliver. Maybe it was my choice, a caesar salad. This proved to be a deconstructed salad of the individual ingredients. Ie a pile of salad, three frozen chicken breasts, three over salty bacon rashers and a pile of big croutons, with caesar sauce and cheese on top. I just thought the ingredents were a bit poor and didnt like the fact it wasnt what I would call a caesar as nothing was brought together. Other people though may love it.

That view though! I got that table for two near the door where you can see the whole valley. That is a nice place to sit with a drink

Thats where we sat when we went :hihi:

Just been today. Unfortunately they weren't doing food as they've just changed to different food serving times.

Yesterday their web site still showed them doing lunches today, it has been updated now!

Has a lovely lunch at the Plough instead, who were very busy.

Thats Cak you'd expect them to be open most days wouldnt you. Well worth the wait. I hope nobody goes and doesnt like the food or else I feel somehwhat a fool. Please all spare my feelings if you go and say its lovely lol:)

• 2 months later...

after reading this thread some time back, i decided to book a mothers day meal at the nags head, and to say im disspointment is an understatement, there wasnt a menu, you had only the choice of meats in your "sunday lunch" and it wasnt meat even off a joint , it was basic stuff you could buy from ANY supermarket.

aunt bessies yorkshire puds, sweetcorn ?????..poor meat, even the carrots werent cooked properly and it wasnt packed to the rafters either so no excuses about being rushed.

there was no effort to make this food good, anyone and i mean anyone could knock up a sunday lunch of such quality, the pub itself was actually a nice pub but if it wants to compete with places like the old horns it has a long long long longggggggggggggggg way to go.

it seriously needed a home made touch to it, a womans touch, any touch,

3 out of 10 at the very most.

Archived