Outstanding Food The Nags Head Loxley/Bradfield!

Smack Jack

How long have you been working there or known the owners for?

The Nags is a very popular place and would never need anyone to act as a 'plant', it'd be entirely redundant. It seems to be full whenever I've been in regardless of what day or time it is and there's bound to be a lot of people who are ready to give it a good word.

Yes, the food is great and the portions are very impressive. It's honest, unfussy pub grub at it's best.

after reading this thread some time back, i decided to book a mothers day meal at the nags head, and to say im disspointment is an understatement, there wasnt a menu, you had only the choice of meats in your "sunday lunch" and it wasnt meat even off a joint , it was basic stuff you could buy from ANY supermarket.

aunt bessies yorkshire puds, sweetcorn ?????..poor meat, even the carrots werent cooked properly and it wasnt packed to the rafters either so no excuses about being rushed.

there was no effort to make this food good, anyone and i mean anyone could knock up a sunday lunch of such quality, the pub itself was actually a nice pub but if it wants to compete with places like the old horns it has a long long long longggggggggggggggg way to go.

it seriously needed a home made touch to it, a womans touch, any touch,

3 out of 10 at the very most.

The Old Horns is shocking. It's as if one of the Hillsborough idiot magnets has been rebuilt in Bradfield and all the tossers have moved with it. The beer is crap too.

A61, turn right after SWFC (before Kentucky), straight on at Hillsborough corner, bear right, then left at Malin Bridge one-way system (after tram terminus), straight on for 2 miles. It's on your left before Dam Flask.

• 6 months later...

The Nag's head is one of the best value pubs in this area - no doubt about that at all in my view. I'm not a regular there because it's the wrong side of town for me (too many Wednesdayites knocking about) but the beers are just out of this world and at £1.95 a pint I honestly don't know anywhere else in this city or near it, that has quality real ale at this price - regardless incidentally of the ABV. All the real ales are same price.

The food: - I think if you are going for something simple, like pie and chips, or chip butty, sandwich and chips - you won't be disappointed. In fact, you'll be impressed at the home made chips for sure and it's not expensive. I've eaten there twice in recent months - I thought they had cut down a bit on the portions recently but I'd be interested to know if anyone else thinks the same?

The Nag's Head always strikes me as a locals pub. You've got 2 main rooms, one with a full size snooker table in there, with a smaller seating area beyond the bar in a back room, and the other room, quite small, to the right as you go in. It seems to attract quite a few local yokels - blokes with pot bellies and handlebar moustaches - it has a feel to it like a pub might have felt 50 years ago. A predominantly male macho environment. The fixtures and fittings are dated and it's a bit of a time warp in many ways - but there's something comforting and homely about that in it's own way.

The Horns at Bradfield is a different kettle of fish altogether. I was amazed when I went in there about a year ago now as I hadn't been in for many years previous to that. It has turned from a hill top village boozer into a kind of theme pub. To be fair, I think it's been nicely modernised but it's more of a tourist stop off place than a local's place - that's the impression I get. It's attractive inside and they have a few real ales on, but not of the quality found at the Nag's Head.

Food at the Horns: - well, to be honest, I've only eaten there once and that was on a sunday when we were out walking in the area. We stopped by for a drink and the smell of sunday lunch whetted our appetitites. They had a carvery in the restaurant bit of the pub and on inspection it looked very good indeed. Huge roasts of beef, pork, lamb, whatever with a nice selection of veg and sauces. We decided to have lunch there and I have to say it was very nice indeed. One of the best carveries we've found in this area for sure. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the normal menu is typical, freeze and microwave fare - but I can't comment as I don't know and haven't tried it. All I can say is the Sunday carvery is very good, the views from the pub are lovely and you don't feel like you are intruding on someone's local turf so much as you do at the Nags.

But the Nag's beer is worth it!

Archived