Australian Floods Appeal

I have family in Rockhampton who are suffering as a result of this flood. So, you could say this is close to my heart.

I am not aware of any aid plea to the outside world, but I guess offers of assistance will be given, especially as these floods have devastated most of the country's crops and farming land.

Haven't you all been watching the prime minister of Australia on the news talking about how there will be lots of resources and money from the Australian government directed towards the crisis in hand. Australia is a rich country and doesn't need external money to support it. As I wrote above, householders have insurance and the Goverhment there support the people financially during problems like this.

They're used to forest fires each year where homes are wiped out and people are tragically killed. Although on a different scale, they are still adequately equipped to handle this themselves without humanitarian aid.

I feel sickened by your post.

how rediculous can you be? we are talking about BILLIONS of dollars. Even converted, that is still BILLIONDS of pounds!

People are dying. they are being washed away and no- they will not all be riding their surfboards.

Yesterday there was the inland equivelant to a tidal wave running through the rural area.

Anyway, for the people on the forum with a bit of sense -

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/

to give you an idea of the flash flooding....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do0LvsdXIU

There has been a massive tv campaign for donations and it reached over 10 million dollars I think in one night.

65% of queensland has been declared an emergency zone.... thats a HUGE chunk of land.

and on the other side of the scale, they are fighting forest fires in WA.

Bizarre going ons!

I've just been reading the Age- Melbourne's major newspaper.

A farmer found a house in his field.... With people in it.

Another house was washed along the main road- still with the occupants inside screaming for help.

An 8 metre wass of water roared through the valley- taking out anything in its path- just like a disaster movie.

Whole families are being drowned in their own cars.

75% OF Queensland has been declaired a distaster zone - http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/302423

And that is the size of France, Spain and most of Portugal.... Not just flooded, but DISASTER zone.

My friends have run out of food, and they have no fuel left for their boat.

But according to some people- all of that is OK, coz it is Australia and Aussies have insurance.

Keeping my finger on the pulse, but haven't heard from my family for a week so starting to get a bit worried. Unfortunately, I have family dotted about in various places in Queensland and now with Brisbane (I have many family there) looking close to being overwhelmed, my worries are about to get worse.

The scenes in Queensland are very disturbing, especially when you consider the scale of the disaster. The amount of people who have died maybe relatively small at the moment, but lots more will die as the flood waters expand.

This disaster should be getting more coverage than it actually is.

AO- the power has been cut off. I'm getting updates from friends who have FB on their mobiles.

Not a good situation. I was beside myself 2 years ago when the fires were near all my friends in Victoria.

I moved from Melbourne to near Bundy, so now I am beside myself again because I have a lot of friends in that area too. :(

Archived