Australian Floods Appeal

I would like to introduce you all to a poem by Dorethea McKellar called My Country..

The love of field and coppice,

Of green and shaded lanes.

Of ordered woods and gardens

Is running in your veins,

Strong love of grey-blue distance

Brown streams and soft dim skies

I know but cannot share it,

My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest

All tragic to the moon,

The sapphire-misted mountains,

The hot gold hush of noon.

Green tangle of the brushes,

Where lithe lianas coil,

And orchids deck the tree-tops

And ferns the warm dark soil.

Core of my heart, my country!

Her pitiless blue sky,

When sick at heart, around us,

We see the cattle die -

But then the grey clouds gather,

And we can bless again

The drumming of an army,

The steady, soaking rain.

Land of the Rainbow Gold,

For flood and fire and famine,

She pays us back threefold -

Over the thirsty paddocks,

Watch, after many days,

The filmy veil of greenness

That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,

A wilful, lavish land -

All you who have not loved her,

You will not understand -

Though earth holds many splendours,

Wherever I may die,

I know to what brown country

My homing thoughts will fly.

I feel sickened by your post.

how rediculous can you be? we are talking about BILLIONS of dollars. Even converted, that is still BILLIONDS of pounds!

People are dying. they are being washed away and no- they will not all be riding their surfboards.

Yesterday there was the inland equivelant to a tidal wave running through the rural area.

Anyway, for the people on the forum with a bit of sense -

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/

I would'nt get to worked up, the federal goverment in oz are about to spend 44 billion on a national broad band network which most people there seem to think is a waste of taxpayers money, they've just given 200 million to indonesia for a school programme so they're not exactly skint .the defence forces are helping out ,nobodys looting,people and the ses are working together "so settle down":roll:

I feel sickened by your post.

how rediculous can you be? we are talking about BILLIONS of dollars. Even converted, that is still BILLIONDS of pounds!

People are dying. they are being washed away and no- they will not all be riding their surfboards.

Yesterday there was the inland equivelant to a tidal wave running through the rural area.

Anyway, for the people on the forum with a bit of sense -

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/

Thanks so much for the link Scozzie l will definitely be donating to the floods appeal, the Aussies are a top bunch and have always helped us out through thick and thin not like many other countries that we support with aid in crisis who would sooner stick a knife in our back than thank us.

I would like to introduce you all to a poem by Dorethea McKellar called My Country..

The love of field and coppice,

Of green and shaded lanes.

Of ordered woods and gardens

Is running in your veins,

Strong love of grey-blue distance

Brown streams and soft dim skies

I know but cannot share it,

My love is otherwise.

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

Of droughts and flooding rains.

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror -

The wide brown land for me!

A stark white ring-barked forest

All tragic to the moon,

The sapphire-misted mountains,

The hot gold hush of noon.

Green tangle of the brushes,

Where lithe lianas coil,

And orchids deck the tree-tops

And ferns the warm dark soil.

Her pitiless blue sky,

When sick at heart, around us,

We see the cattle die -

But then the grey clouds gather,

And we can bless again

The drumming of an army,

The steady, soaking rain.

Land of the Rainbow Gold,

For flood and fire and famine,

She pays us back threefold -

Over the thirsty paddocks,

Watch, after many days,

The filmy veil of greenness

That thickens as we gaze.

An opal-hearted country,

A wilful, lavish land -

All you who have not loved her,

You will not understand -

Though earth holds many splendours,

Wherever I may die,

I know to what brown country

My homing thoughts will fly.

Scozzie, you brought tears to my eyes, it's a great poem and I'm familiar with it. I came from Rockhampton and I'm pretty sure that the first house I lived in as a child will be flooded, although the second one is further from the Fitzroy and should be spared. Fortunately I have no relations there any more to worry about. However, I also lived in Brisbane and I'm sad that the university, where I studied, will again be under water as in 1974. I feel for the whole state and think an appeal would be justified. Watching the news breaks my heart. My home may be here now, but there's still enough Aussie left in me to be affected.

I would'nt get to worked up, the federal goverment in oz are about to spend 44 billion on a national broad band network which most people there seem to think is a waste of taxpayers money, they've just given 200 million to indonesia for a school programme so they're not exactly skint .the defence forces are helping out ,nobodys looting,people and the ses are working together "so settle down":roll:

no - nobody looting - http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/weather/ipswich-shut-down-as-river-rises-rapidly-20110112-19n1f.html

no disease http://www.theage.com.au/environment/risk-of-deadly-diseases-for-residents-20110111-19mp4.html

no reason to get worked up http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/gallery/gallery-e6frewxi-1225985189465?page=1

no loss of livelihood http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=178492465516472&set=a.178492305516488.39922.177227955642923#!/photo.php?fbid=178492468849805&set=a.178492305516488.39922.177227955642923&pid=442548&id=177227955642923

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=178492465516472&set=a.178492305516488.39922.177227955642923

no one losing their homes and all their posessions. http://www.theage.com.au/environment/weather/brisbane-homes-inundated-ipswich-cbd-closed-20110112-19my3.html

I guess next week all these people will be able to walk into brand spanking newly rebuilt houses full of furniture, appliances and clothes. Go back to work, their kids back to school - because they have insurance..... right?

:roll: the scale of this is massive and there isnt going to be a quick fix.

just like everyone is back in their homes from the victoria fires a couple of years ago? There are still people living in the temporary accom that was set up.

Australia has only accepted the help from the NZ forces so far. Were a stubborn bunch!

:roll: the scale of this is massive and there isnt going to be a quick fix.

just like everyone is back in their homes from the victoria fires a couple of years ago? There are still people living in the temporary accom that was set up.

Australia has only accepted the help from the NZ forces so far. Were a stubborn bunch!

84% of the victorian bushfire money collected by the redcross went overseas,if bligh and gillard addressed" climate policy" in queensland, instead of" climate change policy"things might be differant...its the state and federal pollies that are a stubborn bunch its time they started listening to what the people of queensland want instead of the canberra "'bob brown greenies""

Archived