Australian Floods Appeal

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/01/12/ri-donates-us1-million-aid-australia.html

RI donates US$1 million in aid to Australia

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Wed, 01/12/2011 10:33 PM | World

Indonesia donated $1 million to flood survivors in Queensland, Australia, Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said on Wednesday.

“Yesterday, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono decided that Indonesia would donate as much as $1 million to Australia,” Marty was quoted by Antara.

He said he contacted Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd regarding the donation on Wednesday morning.

“This is one of the ways we care for each other,” he said, adding that Australia often donated when Indonesia suffered tsunamis and earthquakes.

Australia is currently experiencing its worst flooding in 50 years. Ten people were confirmed dead, and 78 people were reported missing in the southeast part of Queensland.

what about nature then

covering an area the size of Germany and France put together

i wonder why the entire United Kingdom has never been flooded like this before, be good to see the Queen in a cheep seaside rubber dingy, and the whole of the Houses of Parliament sunk like the Titanic, we can only dream

Glad to see you are making light of a very serious situation. Some of us have family and friends out there and we still have yet to hear if they are safe. I have lost contact with my family and I am just praying they are ok.

I have a friend in Brisbane who decided to stay put. (he moved there from York for the weather :hihi: )

Last night (uk time) he posted that the water had just started coming up his street. When it started to be a problem for the shops down the road, the owners obviously realised they would lose all their goods anyway, so told people to take what they need. Although people didn't panic grab stuff like they do in the movies, my mate has a belly ache from scoffing all the ice-cream.

Photos coming through are looking pretty scary.

AO, there were warnings to evacuate Brissie 2 days before the serious water go there, so I'm sure a lot of people got out.

You have to remember that they are probably very busy either saving their own properties, or helping their friends save theirs. They could be holed up in a make shift shelter. The electricity has been cut off, so internet isn't available.

I've read accounts where people have left with what they could stuff into a bag, then remembered when it was too late, that their wallet/phone etc was still on the bench.

hugs. Hope you hear from them soon.

Scozzie, my comments were made well over a week ago before it reached the scale that it did. At no point did I refer to surf boards and object to how you have trivialised my thoughts and insulted me. Go back and read my posts and consider whether your outburst was truly justified. The aim of Sheffield Forum is to criticse the post and not the person. Please follow this guideline.

It is clear that the country is suffering far more than they were doing so when the news filtered through at the beginning of the year. Lets hope the floods subside soon so people can begin to pick up the pieces.

There are also similar floods in Sri Lanka at the moment. There were some very disturbing images on the news earlier.

Does anyone know whether there has been a UK appeal for aid to Australia for the victims of the flooding?

We usually have one for any other country no matter what, so is anyone in the know?

Not another charity asking for my money! :roll:

I would like to donate to the oz floods,but i dont want it to go to a NGO as i listened to Edward Sturton on radio 4 last week & at the end of the programme he said only 20% of donations reach the people in need. now is there any bank / place i can send direct to the oz goverment? so they are not ripped off!

I would like to donate to the oz floods,but i dont want it to go to a NGO as i listened to Edward Sturton on radio 4 last week & at the end of the programme he said only 20% of donations reach the people in need. now is there any bank / place i can send direct to the oz goverment? so they are not ripped off!

http://www.qld.gov.au/floods/donate.html

Goes direct to the state government. Not sure how to use the "international donation" bit but mastercard works fine with the online donation link. ( an aussie dollar is about 64p plus a couple of pence for the credit card currency conversion for working out how much you are giving)

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/01/12/ri-donates-us1-million-aid-australia.html

RI donates US$1 million in aid to Australia

The Jakarta Post, Jakarta | Wed, 01/12/2011 10:33 PM | World

Indonesia donated $1 million to flood survivors in Queensland, Australia, Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said on Wednesday.

“Yesterday, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono decided that Indonesia would donate as much as $1 million to Australia,” Marty was quoted by Antara.

He said he contacted Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd regarding the donation on Wednesday morning.

“This is one of the ways we care for each other,” he said, adding that Australia often donated when Indonesia suffered tsunamis and earthquakes.

Australia is currently experiencing its worst flooding in 50 years. Ten people were confirmed dead, and 78 people were reported missing in the southeast part of Queensland.

thanks bambang that just leaves you with 199 million left from the donation of 200million the oz gov just gave you .the gall of these third world muppets beggers belief.

thanks bambang that just leaves you with 199 million left from the donation of 200million the oz gov just gave you .the gall of these third world muppets beggers belief.

as someone wrote on another thread about donating

:D you know what £10 when you can't afford it is worth £100 of when you can bless you :)

Archived