Will the VAT rise alter your spending habits?

It's already changed my spending habits. I was in two minds as to whether to buy a new car and a new kitchen this year.

Maybe it's only 2.5% increase in VAT but it actually made me think about these purchases. The money is now going towards paying my mortgage off instead.

I note that Vauhall are offering 20% discount on new cars, and many other manufacturers are offering huge discounts to try to shift unwanted stock. I really can't see a small VAT increase affecting the price at all. Manufacturers who are desperate to shift stock will be even more desperate now that those who panicked and bought last week are no longer in the market.

I've just checked Broadspeed and they are offering £5600 off a new Ford Focus.

They could always make further cuts to public spending in order to reduce taxes, I presme that would be ok with you then?

No, they could have kept VAT where it was and taxed higher earners more as well as the bankers bonuses.

I suppose they will always get away with it when turkey's keep voting for Christmas!

No, they could have kept VAT where it was and taxed higher earners more as well as the bankers bonuses.

I suppose they will always get away with it when turkey's keep voting for Christmas!

Ah so you want public services, so long as only a minority pay for it?

I suppose they need to get away with it if people carry on thinking public services can be paid for on credit.

Ah so you want public services, so long as only a minority pay for it?

I suppose they need to get away with it if people carry on thinking public services can be paid for on credit.

We ALL pay taxes don't we unless of course your Smarmy Dave's waste advisor:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302661/Sir-Philip-Green-defends-appointment-government-waste-watchdog.html

We ALL pay taxes don't we unless of course your Smarmy Dave's waste advisor:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1302661/Sir-Philip-Green-defends-appointment-government-waste-watchdog.html

There are plenty of people who don't pay any direct taxes and are just a burden on the rest of us taxpayers.

Having read the article you post it also appears that Dave's advisor's company has paid about £300 million in taxes over recent years. What a misleading post your's was.

Archived