Will the VAT rise alter your spending habits?

No. Is that too simple for you? :hihi:

Perfect. Sometimes simple is correct.:)

The point I'm trying to make is that the causes of all of our troubles are massively complex. It does nobody any favours to over simplify them.

It would be helpful if the financial sector was showing the same restraint as the rest of us.

I reckon that the austerity measures are going to cost me, personally, a five figure sum over the next five years. I can take that, but not whilst I'm watching the Chief Exec of RBS pocketing millions, or Phillip Green wheedling his way out of paying income tax.

David Cameron has made a decent start on this so far. His interview today was spot on. Hopefully, he will back up his words with actions.

How many pubs brought down the price of drinks when the VAT went down from 17.5 to 15%? I bet they'll be quick to put it up with the 20% rate. This is open house on business to profiteer by increasing prices way above the 2.5%.

it didnt quite work like that. when the VAT went down to 15% the gov added 2.5% in duty onto alcohol, cigs and fuel so the prices stayed the same and they didnt lose too much revenue.

scandalous thing is that when the VAT went back up to 17.5% they never reduced the duty by 2.5% :rant: we were royally ripped off, especially as the only significant saving for most people would have been on the fuel.

Archived