Will the VAT rise alter your spending habits?

It's already changed my spending habits. I was in two minds as to whether to buy a new car and a new kitchen this year.

Maybe it's only 2.5% increase in VAT but it actually made me think about these purchases. The money is now going towards paying my mortgage off instead.

You mean the 2.5% increase david cameron said he had no intention of adding in the forseeable future as part of his election speel, it will affect me yes, im already struggling to run my car the way i want to, ive had to resort to being the family taxi for extended family members who dont drive, just to get that extra cash in the tank, i remember when it took just under £4 to fill my gerry can with petrol now the same can takes almost £8.

can i just say a quick thanks to all the students who believed the lib dems about all the rubbish they promised fully knowing they had no chance of getting into power on thier own, you've made your own and lot of other peoples lives a lot harder for at least the next 2 years, labour wernt fantastic but id rather have them back than this lot who are in now.

I was thinking about buying a 1.6l car however now will buy a 1.4l, as I cannot afford to keep filling a tank of that size.

I didn't realise cars were built with such small petrol tanks! :o

Must be one of those new fangled eco-cars? :huh:

The difference between filling up a 1.4l and a 1.6l tank will equate to around 25p! :o

To be honest the rise in VAT from 17.5% to 20% only increases prices by 2.13%.

A product costing £100 ex vat, would have been £117.50 before the VAT increase and is now £120.

Would you be swayed into purchasing something by a 2.13% discount?

No, then why be swayed away from purchasing it by a 2.13% increase?

My spending habits won't change because of the VAT rise.

You mean the 2.5% increase david cameron said he had no intention of adding in the forseeable future as part of his election speel, it will affect me yes, im already struggling to run my car the way i want to, ive had to resort to being the family taxi for extended family members who dont drive, just to get that extra cash in the tank, i remember when it took just under £4 to fill my gerry can with petrol now the same can takes almost £8.

can i just say a quick thanks to all the students who believed the lib dems about all the rubbish they promised fully knowing they had no chance of getting into power on thier own, you've made your own and lot of other peoples lives a lot harder for at least the next 2 years, labour wernt fantastic but id rather have them back than this lot who are in now.

Yes, vote labour for lower taxation : D

Archived