Will the VAT rise alter your spending habits?

It sounds like a responsible government trying to make inroads into Labour's £150 billion per year deficit. I haven't actually heard any of the opposition (nice word) MPs coming up with a way of doing that.

I also don't accept your VAT hitting the poorest hardest argument. It is absolute tripe. What do you think folk buy?

New Bentley VAT increased the price £9000. 2005 Ford Focus no increase.

It sounds to me like the Tories raising money from the least able to pay it to me. No change there then!

Infact here's Nick condemning the Tories planned VAT rise!

VAT has been put up to 20% today.

The Govt hopes to raise an additional £13billion over the next three years.

But will it also deter spending? Will you cut back on what you buy or will it not make any difference to you?

Not one bit, still need so much petrol each week, still need so much food each week, still need so many fags each week, still want so much booze each week

So in answer to the question, No.

I think the biggest impact will be on things we have no choice but to spend on, like our water, gas & electricity bills, petrol etc because it's constant spending.

We plan to buy some new furniture soon that will cost around £400, VAT rise will only add £10 to it.

save the £400 and buy some nice second hand furniture from rotherham market on a wednesday...they dont charge vat.....happy days

VAT is on most things these days, with a very tiny number of exceptions. Newspapers, children's clothes, and food.

Most grocery items, such as toothpaste, cleaning products and toilet roll, as well as quite a lot of FOOD (sweets, drinks and snacks, cakes etc) all have VAT on them.

Yep. This VAT increase is targetted at hitting those with the least money the hardest...

VAT is on most things these days, with a very tiny number of exceptions. Newspapers, children's clothes, and food.

Most grocery items, such as toothpaste, cleaning products and toilet roll, as well as quite a lot of FOOD (sweets, drinks and snacks, cakes etc) all have VAT on them.

Yep. This VAT increase is targetted at hitting those with the least money the hardest...

So, don't the ones with more money have to buy the same things then ? :huh:

Don't they also usually buy more expensive cars than the ones with less money, therefore paying more vat ?

More expensive clothes, the list goes on......

So, don't the ones with more money have to buy the same things then ? :huh:

Don't they also usually buy more expensive cars than the ones with less money, therefore paying more vat ?

More expensive clothes, the list goes on......

So, aren't the ones with more money better able to afford the VAT increase than the poorest in society who are being hit disproportionately hard? And in order to pay for the greed and stupidity of the wealthiest?

VAT on toilet rolls but no VAT on newspapers....no wonder my granddad used to cut the star into squares and put them on that nail behind the toilet door..:hihi::hihi::hihi:happy days

Archived