Selling on ebay.

i would like to start selling a few things on ebay, ive already got quite a few good feedback in place with stuff ive bought, however when i try to set up a sellers account ebay wants me to "confirm my identity by phone"

it will not accept mobiles but this is where i have a problem... i dont have a landline phone and niether does my mum that i could use, i have everything else a confirmed paypal account ect but not a landline phone number, does anyone know a way around this please! :help:

Yes just use a friends landline number, They never ring you anyway :)
eBay does ring when you're selling (they use an automated phone system for verifying a security code/whatnot, in order to validate an auction).

I'm a bit hazy on the details/specifics right now, as I haven't done one in a while, but I'm positive there is a need for the phone thing when setting up auctions.

In this day and age there are loads of people out there who use mobile only........have you contacted them direct to tell them about your predicament? They may have an alternative way of confirming.....

Also....be aware when selling via ebay there is a listing fee which is obvious, but they take a percentage of the final selling price and a percentage of the money transferred via Paypal which can come as a nasty surprise!

eBay does ring when you're selling (they use an automated phone system for verifying a security code/whatnot, in order to validate an auction).

I'm a bit hazy on the details/specifics right now, as I haven't done one in a while, but I'm positive there is a need for the phone thing when setting up auctions.

They have never rang me, Ever! and ive been on it for over 7 yrs :huh:

Have you had a look at this?

Step 2) Confirm your identity

To help provide a safe environment for the eBay community, you need to provide a credit or debit card to create a seller’s account or verify your identity by phone. In some cases, you’ll also need to provide your bank account information. Your personal information is protected by eBay's Privacy Policy and encrypted by the industry standard SSL technology.

Verify your identity by phone

This option allows you to sell immediately on eBay. Enter your telephone number as indicated (land lines only) and select whether you want to receive the call now (you'll receive the call within 20 seconds) or in 2 minutes. You will get an automated call with a 4-digit verification number at the telephone number you specified. Enter the 4-digit verification number on eBay and continue your registration.

Verify your identity by providing your credit card information

Your card will not be charged unless you authorise eBay to use it to pay your seller fees, which are charged only when you list or sell items.

If your card is not accepted, try the following:

Make sure that your card number is correct.

Check your address - it must match the billing address on your monthly statement.

Verify that your account has been activated.

Make sure your credit or debit card is in good standing

Verify the following:

Make sure your account does not have an Internet or phone order block

For debit cards, only use those with Visa, Electron or Maestro logos

Contact your card issuer if none of the above helps.

Verify your identity by providing your bank account information

Your account information will be used for identification purposes only. eBay does not deduct any fees from your account unless you authorise eBay to use it to pay your seller fees.

If you are having trouble putting your bank account on file, try the following:

Make sure that your sort code is correct. You will find your sort code on the bottom of your cheques. Routing numbers are 6 digits long. bank account number is correct. You will find your bank account number on the bottom of your cheques.

If you are still having trouble, contact your bank for assistance.

It suggests that there are other options, as well as the phone. I seem to recall they used to credit your account with two small amounts (e.g. 3p and 7p) and you had to verify yourself as the account holder by confirming these amounts. A long time ago though!

Archived