Jobs in Sheffield?

Factory / warehouse job Monday to Friday :roll: ………… Good luck, if you find one ( no nights) let me know.

I spent 10 years working in a warehouse , as a full time employee of the company ,and one thing i wouls strongly advise against is working for an agency .

Whilst i was there we had many temp staff ( mainly forklift drivers) ,and although they were doing the EXACT same job as myself , they were earning £3 an hour LESS than me and the other permenant forklift drivers.

It is well known that agencys only pay their staff the minimum wage ,whilst pocketing a very good rate off the company themselves.

Ive spoken to many people about this who work for companys who use agency staff , and ive heard of this happening many times.

Its wrong that agencies do this to staff , but sadly they are allowed to get away with it .

From an agency point of view, when doing CV's always tailor the CV to the role. For most roles it's experience that counts, so put it second after your "killer profile". Most people say education first, but I hate trawling through a page of education to look for the experience I want to know about.

Keep it clear:

Dates (Month and year)

Company

Job title

* Then bullet point key duties and any key achievements in bold to make you stand out.

It has to read well, no spelling mistakes as most people only spend a few minutes max checking over a CV when there are lots to go through (being honest here, I know it's wrong but there isn't enough hours in the day to look in 100% detail).

When applying, make notes of which company it is with and a reference number. It's key to follow up on applications, a lot of people won't get back to you (not ideal...).

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck in your hunting.

I spent 10 years working in a warehouse , as a full time employee of the company ,and one thing i wouls strongly advise against is working for an agency .

Whilst i was there we had many temp staff ( mainly forklift drivers) ,and although they were doing the EXACT same job as myself , they were earning £3 an hour LESS than me and the other permenant forklift drivers.

It is well known that agencys only pay their staff the minimum wage ,whilst pocketing a very good rate off the company themselves.

Ive spoken to many people about this who work for companys who use agency staff , and ive heard of this happening many times.

Its wrong that agencies do this to staff , but sadly they are allowed to get away with it .

Unfortunately it's not always in the hands of the agencies what they pay the workers, it's true there is a charge on top of the pay, this is for admin/holiday pay/employers NI and also a fee to keep the agency in business allowing them to provide work/services.

It can be a common thought that companies pay agencies eg. £9 p/h then the agency pockets £3 profit. In reality this isn't the case and the amount can be very small in comparison...

New regulations are coming in which will mean companies will have to match benefits of temp staff with that of perm ones, wages, parking, gym etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...
I know things haven't been great jobs-wise over the last year or two but any idea how to search for a job in Sheffield these days?

The jobs section here is mainly people wanting tradesmen etc, the Sheffield Star jobs section (online) is nowhere near as good as it used to be, and is mainly employment agencies from what I can see...

The Job Centre website that is now on Directgov is equally as bare these days, there's nowt on the council website, nowt at Asda, HMV, 4 jobs in Meadowhall, none in Crystal Peaks (according to all their websites)... I just wondered if anyone knows of any office/admin jobs going or retail jobs, and where the hell to find them these days :hihi:

Thanks

hi

we have just posted a job on here, we are looking for people to work from home taking phone calls when our phone are busy, must have a scanner computer and preff a land line http://www.emergencyroofer.co.uk

It's really worrying, I don't necessarily need a job NOW but forward-thinking I decided to have a look and am scared!

my job winds up at the end of next week, but my 2 'casual' jobs might keep me going until something comes up.

Don't be too scared to try new things.

Archived