Speed camera warners can be prosecuted.

The logical extension of your argument is that you would not warn the mugger the cops were on their way.

I support the cops, you believe in stopping them fining criminals.

Speeding is not a criminal act. If someone is caught speeding they do not get a criminal record. None of your arguments are worthwhile, you probably merely have autophobia.

You are missing a part of the Glendinning case- police do not have to prove motorists were speeding, it is enough to show there was a likelihood of them speeding.

now given police had set up speed trap- I think this is a very low standard to meet. I mean why would police be there if there was no likelihood of motorists speeding.

Also, why was defendant flashing motorists if he didn't think there was a likelihood of them speeding?

This is the judgement from this case.

HELD: The actus reus of the offence could only be established where the prosecuting authority proved that those warned were either exceeding the legal speed limit or were likely to do so at the location of the speed trap. On the facts of the instant case it was clear that there was no actual obstruction by G, Bastable v Little (1907) 1 KB 59, Betts v Stevens (1910) 1 KB 1, Green v Moore (1982) 126 SJ 79 considered.

The judges held that, because there was no evidence that any other drivers were influenced by his signal and slowed down as a result, Mr Glendinning did not obstruct the police

In law, the fact of the police having set up a speed trap does not mean there is a likelihood of anyone speeding at all. In fact the chances of proving that someone who actually saw the driver flashing his lights was likely to have been speeding is damn near impossible to substantiate.

Mr Justice Owen also commented obiter "some people might think the police ought to appreciate the efforts of others to prevent speeding"

As we all know, speed cameras are ONLY placed in places which are deemed as high risk/accident black spots (and not just to generate cash :huh:. Therefore to "advise" motorists to slow down approaching said area of high risk is only a good thing, is it not? You are providing a service to remind motorists of the danger ahead.;)

Heavy breaking means they are going to fast and breaking the law to start with.This law has been in force since the hand held speed cameras in the 60s.

Not necessarily. I never exceed the speed limit, but I still subconsciously take my foot off the accelerator when I see a mobile camera.

I would guess that nearly every driver reduces his/her speed when they see a mobile camera, even though 99%+ will already be within the speed limit.

Now arguably it is good that drivers reduce their speed, irrespective of whether they are within set limits or not. However, I have on occasion witnessed drivers unnecessarily braking hard at the sight of a camera, which can't be good.

It is for these reasons that camera warning signs, in conjunction with the speed cameras themselves, are a good thing. It allows drivers to check their speed in good time, no need to brake suddenly, or even at all, because most drivers don't actually speed.

I despise speeding drivers just as much as spindrift, but feel that the actions against Mr Thompson was an irresponsible, vindictive use of police powers. He would have been found not-guilty if he had been properly represented anyway, but the main problem is that it simply confirms the thoughts of many that trying to manage traffic speeds is simply a war with all motorists.

Can we now put spindrift's trolling to rest,it has gone on long enough.

If I am driving along at 30 mph and in the distance I see a car indicating to make a turn I flash my lights,he/she does not slow down thinking there is a speed trap he/she turns.No problem.

The problem here is flashing (lights) is used for all sorts of reasons,so what is the answer make it a criminal offence? A bit OTT that.

Archived