Speed camera warners can be prosecuted.

Can we now put spindrift's trolling to rest,it has gone on long enough.

If I am driving along at 30 mph and in the distance I see a car indicating to make a turn I flash my lights,he/she does not slow down thinking there is a speed trap he/she turns.No problem.

The problem here is flashing (lights) is used for all sorts of reasons,so what is the answer make it a criminal offence? A bit OTT that.

Why are you flashing your lights because someone is indicating to turn, are you warning them of your presence?

So trying to prevent it should be seen as crime prevention. I'm glad we agree.

There's a road with a history of street muggings.

You see a man approach an old lady and warn him the cops are around. You have no idea if he's a mugger.

The police fine you for obstruction.

Would you complain?

I see a cyclist about to run a red light and I shout [Harry Enfield] 'Oi, driftstick, NO!' [/Harry Enfield]

Am I obstructing the police in doing their duty, or am I helping a person of lower than average brainpower to avoid a fine, or even death as if they run the red light they could be killed by a nasty car driver? (albeit at a safe legal speed, which when added to the speed of the cyclist could provide a closing speed in excess of 50mph)

Troll on cycle boy.

There's a road with a history of street muggings.

You see a man approach an old lady and warn him the cops are around. You have no idea if he's a mugger.

The police fine you for obstruction.

Would you complain?

Yes of course I would, since I may have prevented a crime. You on the other hand would rather see the old lady mugged, because you'd rather see the offence take place for the simple reason that the police can fine the criminal a few quid, never mind the old lady.

Let's go back to basics.

Do you accept that what you call "minor" and "irrelevant"- driving at 35mph instead of the limit- 30mph, massively increases the risk to pedestrians?

It's basic physics, I can't see how you can argue that it isn't true.

In the event that there is a pedestrian and there is an accident and it actually happens at that speed then yes it increases the risk.

which is a lot of ifs. The risk might be equally high from an older vehicle at 30 though as a new one at 35. The risk is significantly reduced when there are no pedestrians around. Hence why slightly exceeding the speed limit is not a major cause of accidents or deaths.

You might try to stuck closer to the case in question which presumably has a 60 limit being an A road as well

Archived