Speed camera warners can be prosecuted.

I saw that.

What was crazy about it?

The fact that the two criminals were released on bail and subsequently didn't answer bail and are still on the run!! I have no issue with the other offences that people were charged and fined for but when the police have two proper criminals in their hands they let them go!! Oh,and did I mention the firearms charge that one of them had a warrant for??

Why do you ask such a stupid question?

Thank you for reminding me why it is not worth carrying out a debate with you.

Do you think speeding is not a criminal offence?

If so, you're wrong.

All motoring offences (except parking violations in areas where enforcement has been handed over to local councils, rather than traffic wardens) come under criminal law. So there can be no doubt that speeding is a criminal offence.

However, there is no statutory definition of a 'criminal record'. The generally held view is that motoring offences dealt with by fixed penalties don't create (or add to) a criminal record, whereas those dealt with in the courts do form part of a criminal record. So, following that definition, it's possible to commit a criminal offence (speeding) without acquiring a criminal record.

With an increasing number of criminal offences (e.g. dropping litter) being dealt with by fixed penalties, rather than court appearances, it will be interesting to see how the definition of a 'criminal record' changes over time.

A Mr Thomas was in court and charged with flashing his car lights to warn someone that there was a radar trap ahead - this I now know is illegal

I've known drivers flash their car lights quite often, perhaps for other reasons how would it be proven that it was to warn of a radar trap?

My driver had someone flash his lights at him last night and he was going to stop and get out to check his own were working

Oops just noticed a similar thread - Moderator Alert

Prosecutor John Owston told Thompson he was not trying to avoid an accident occurring. He said: ’You were doing it to warn them of a speed trap because as a motorist you don’t want other motorists to be caught speeding. You wanted to make sure that people who were speeding slowed down.’

It always has and always be an unwritten code between motorists to warn fellow drivers of an up coming speed trap . this will never change ,and why should it ?

That is NOT someone promoting road safety, it is someone preventing the police from catching people who break the law. It's no different to someone telling a shoplifter that the lady with the red coat is a store detective, so you might want to go and steal in another part of the shop. It doesn't prevent or even deter the crime, it just displaces it.

NO, this is petty ,heavy handed policing aimed at drivers who threaten their income from speed traps.

Prosecutor John Owston told Thompson he was not trying to avoid an accident occurring. He said: ’You were doing it to warn them of a speed trap because as a motorist you don’t want other motorists to be caught speeding. You wanted to make sure that people who were speeding slowed down.’

That is NOT someone promoting road safety, it is someone preventing the police from catching people who break the law. It's no different to someone telling a shoplifter that the lady with the red coat is a store detective, so you might want to go and steal in another part of the shop. It doesn't prevent or even deter the crime, it just displaces it.

NO, this is petty ,heavy handed policing aimed at drivers who threaten their income from speed traps. iit always has been ,and always will be an unwritten code between drivers to warn other drivers of an up coming speed trap,and that will never change.

NO, this is petty ,heavy handed policing aimed at drivers who threaten their income from speed traps.

The cops don't get income from safety cameras, all income from speeding fines is hypothecated for road safety so speeding idiots pay to make the roads safer.

Archived