Halfway - the reason for the name?

Dunno, but the name used to make me laugh when I first moved to Sheffield. Had the in-laws over once and they saw a bus with 'Halfway' as the destination. Dearest mum-in-law wouldn't bloomin shut up about it "halfway, halfway where?" "why does it say Halfway"? Argh :rant:

Originally posted by Hels

Dunno, but the name used to make me laugh when I first moved to Sheffield. Had the in-laws over once and they saw a bus with 'Halfway' as the destination. Dearest mum-in-law wouldn't bloomin shut up about it "halfway, halfway where?" "why does it say Halfway"? Argh :rant:

I'm afraid we've already done the "Halfway to where joke" in July.

FTR, Owdlad claims that Halfway is: "Halfway between Chesterfield & Rotherham, and between Sheffield and Worksop"

Halfway - so-called, I understand, because it is halfway between Sheffield city centre and Clowne, Derbyshire.

There is also a village called Midway in Derbyshire, which is midway between Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire and Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

I always wonder what visitors to the city think when they see a tram with its destination sign reading Halfway.

Do they let that tram go past then stare into the distance looking for a tram with the sign All The Way?

It's a bit misleading IMO.

The posters on this forum should really do their homework rather than just guessing at what places it is halfway between. In fact, Halfway is a place of significant historical and international importance. It is actually so names because it is halfway between Camelot and Atlantis.

We had visiters who wanted to ride on the supertram so put them on at Crystal Peaks and told them to get off at Halfway and we would pick them up. he said but where do we get off, I said Halfway, he said yes but where do we get off, Halfway I repeated.

hazel