Halfway - the reason for the name?

Much like my boss when I worked in Sheffield, who said that upon arriving in the city for the first time, she believed that buses displaying the word 'Intake' had some kind of restricted exit policy where you could get on but not get off.

There was a pub in the 18th century called the Halfwaye Public House for Traders, which was frequented by trading travellers and market people on their merry way to sell farm stock at the Sheaf Field Town market.

Also it was a good place to rob travellers as you may have heard of Jim 'Hell' Heckington an infamous local robber not disimilar to Robin Hood - Hence the nearby village Eckington.

Mosborough is named after the the Moss family who owned the local mines and as such named the the place.

Then theres Dronfield formerly (Drinfield) which gained its name from a river in Alabama called the Drin.

And of course Chesterfield is so called because of the Local mayoress had a chest as big as a field.

Originally posted by tosh13

My Uncle Joe Siddall owned the Halfway House,I went there as a kid it had a big backroom with steps leading to the bar.

Can you remember Reaneys shop on the opposite corner to the pub?

I guess Roger must be a cousin,I did not see much of Joe's side of the family because I lived in Heeley at the time.Most of my family are a mystery to me as non seem to know how to use a PC & the forum,so finding them has been fruitless,but Uncle Joe was a smashing fellow ,I remember him well.