Halfway - the reason for the name?

Originally posted by DanSumption

I admit I've always found the "Halfway" and "Intake" buses a bit puzzling. Not quite as odd as the ones which ran past my house in East Ham though, with "Cyprus" on the front.

sawa bus in hartshead in Sheffield, with Saigon written on the front, I can only guess it was Miss Saigon, the show in London.

Originally posted by owdlad

Can you remember Reaneys shop on the opposite corner to the pub?

Hi There Owdlad, how ya doin!!

Counting back from High Moor we have Norwood,Killamarsh, Halfway. what is the next village as you travel staight into Sheffield Is it Mosborough. Just trying to solve the question to Halfway to where. Hope ya keeping well.

Regards Vera.

Originally posted by owdlad

Hi Vera, nice to hear from you again, I hope your keeping well.

You missed out Holbrook in the count down from High Moor to Mosborough, it was between Killamarsh and Halfway.

Oops!! Owdlad forget that one must have been a (seniors Moment) Regards Vera

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by johnybegood

Mosborough is named after the the Moss family who owned the local mines and as such named the the place.

Just in case anyone is confused at the origins of the name Mosborough:

MOSBOROUGH [Moresburg]

(Old English) burg ="fort, fortified manor" on the (Old English) mor ="moor, marsh".

The name Mosborough was derived from Moresburgh, which means "Fort on the Moor".

The lands of Mosborough and Eckington were bequeathed in 1002AD by Wulfric Spot to Morcare a supposed counsellor to Ethelred the Unready, but following the Norman Conquest the Saxon landowners were replaced by Norman ones and William the Conqueror bestowed the lands in this area in 1086 to Ralph Fitzhubert.

Robert FitzHubert (Ralph) (lord of Mosborough in 1086)

held several lordships in chief. His lineage is not well defined. That he was kinsman of Henri de Ferrierers is reasonably certain. The father, Hubert de Corcun, (now Curzon) a seigneur of a fief in the barony of Ferrierers in Normandy, held West Lockinge in Berkshire of Henri de Ferrers, the tenant in chief. He was not necessarily a 'natural' son, a Fitz myth long since exploded. Boscherville, Curzon and Livet were all surnames deriving from this feoffment.

MosboroughWeb

I have also been puzzled about Halfway too. In fact there are a few places round here that I questioned when I moved up here. Wales was one of them, a workmate said she lived in Wales and I couldn't help wondering what time she got up to come to work ....

• 1 month later...

""Also it was a good place to rob travellers as you may have heard of Jim 'Hell' Heckington an infamous local robber not disimilar to Robin Hood - Hence the nearby village Eckington.

Mosborough is named after the the Moss family who owned the local mines and as such named the the place.""

You might want to check this again, as the "WELLS" family owned many of the mines around Eckington and Mossborough, as well as some of the local Halls at one time.

Damkina

Originally posted by Damkina

""Also it was a good place to rob travellers as you may have heard of Jim 'Hell' Heckington an infamous local robber not disimilar to Robin Hood - Hence the nearby village Eckington.

WRONG

Mosborough is named after the the Moss family who owned the local mines and as such named the the place.""

WRONG

You might want to check this again, as the "WELLS" family owned many of the mines around Eckington and Mossborough, as well as some of the local Halls at one time.

WRONG BUT A BIT RIGHT.

Damkina

GO HERE

• 7 years later...