Spartan steel works

knew george well,cant remember whether he took redundancy or not,his job was taken by jo watts who lived on hackenthorpe

he left due to ill health (lung cancer),he died in june 1978.

• 1 year later...

Hi there

do we know each other ?

i worked at Spartan's but cant remember the year/years after a stroke, there was the roller Pete Yates, mark, Wyburn, Rottweiler, Ray the crane driver, rambo, bully, herman, Alan brunt, myself Ron Clithero, Dave the roll turner and a few more I can't remember

I worked at Shipman's, 1957 - 1960. It belonged to Arther Lee & Sons. I was on maintenance based at AL&S Crown works and loaned out to Steel & Strip Platers (AL&S) as part of my apprenticeship. We covered both (SSP & Shipman's) works. It was a wire mill, no hot rolling, all wire-drawing and heat treatment. As wire goes it was the upper quality market, for wire rope, piano wire etc. Not sure what happened when it was sold to Spartan, Most of Shipmans men were transferred to Crown works on Bessemer Road to continue their trade. The good side of the order book went with them.

• 5 years later...

heres a few names of the lads..steve hyde.. steve cuthbertson.. brian bamforth ..pete booth..mullins..thing..ian cain..big sykes..young sykes..watty..graham kirk..mick coulson..yatesy..barnes..farmers boy..about 74 time

Edited by steve hyde