What was your worst experience when learning to drive?

I kept stalling at the manor top traffic lights... I held up a whole load of traffic for three entire rotations of traffic lights before I managed to move off...

I remember pleading with the instructor - "please, just make it work... just make it go... I'm so embarrassed, its not working" but he made me do it... and I did in the end... :blush:

I did this on a big hill in Chesterfield. What was WAY worse was the guy in the car behind me got out of his car to give me some "effing learners" abuse. Which helped no end. When I got away from the lights I had to pull over and the instructor had to drive me home, so distraught was I.

On my first test heading back to Middlewood test centre coming up to traffic lights at top of Leppings Lane when the started to change. The correct thing for me to do would have been to carry on as I was too close to stop. What did I do? Emergency stop, lucky there was no-one behind me but the examiner nearly kissed the windscreen. I failed but did pass eventually after 4 attempts. Best thing I ever did apart from marrying OH.:hihi::hihi:

an RAC van hit the back of my car while stopped at a junction because he was on his mobile phone, junction of woodlane and stannington road, I had stopped due to a traffic not moving.. being able to see him and not being able to do anything and knowing he was going to ram into my little car - totally runied the driving experience for me for a long time

I was 17 either second or third lesson, Manor Park Round about (only small) driving instructor says "at round about go right" so I did straight into oncoming traffic! For some reason they couldn't fit me in after that and had to find someone else :(

I learned how to drive 40 years ago with Kennings which used to be on Furnival Gate Sheffield, my instructor use to bring a 12 inch wooden ruler with him and hit my legs hard with it using the side of the ruler if I didnt use the clutch properly.

My legs use to be black and blue with bruises - after about 4 lessons with him, one day whilst out on a lesson I just stopped the car, got out and told him to sod off as I hadn't come to be mistreated but to learn how to drive and that I intended reporting him to Kennings driving school - which I did.

He got a good dressing down from his superiors and I was given another instructor whi I passed with.

On the day of my test, i had to use a totally different car to what I'd been using for my lessons because it was in the garage apparently.

Me too, although not because it was in the garage, because my teacher changed it! I had to sit on a cushion and everything - hideous. And because i've never been great with my left and rights, i went left on the roundabout when he said right. He proper shouted at me, 'I SAID RIGHT! RIGHT! I SAID RIGHT!' but because i signalled correctly he couldn't fail me!

It was early on in the test too, so i mucked up his whole test route!! :D

Archived