What was your worst experience when learning to drive?

On one lesson, I was going round a roundabout, and a "joyrider" (presumably) was coming in the opposite direction, at about 50 miles an hour!

On another lesson, I pulled up at some traffic lights, and the car behind me ran into the back of me. It was funny because there was another learner in front of me, one in the left hand lane, and another one behind the car that ran into me, so she was surrounded by driving school cars!

when i had to run a red the other wk thanks to some jerk in a van being to close for me to be able to stop without him hitting me.

last week another jerk signaled for me to carry on but he stoped so close to the parked car that i needed to pass + he was also in the middle of the road that i couldnt get round but i couldnt tell untill i got that close i had to do an emergency turn up a side road and got a right dressing down for not signaling to tell said jerk what i was doing

Taking my first test in Middlesbrough, and never having managed to properly reverse into the side of a street, I was feeling really nervous.

Came the time to perform this manoeuvre, I blew it big style. I ended up with three wheels on the pavement and panicked a pedestrian - who scooped up her small child and jumped onto a doorstep for safety. :rolleyes:

I failed this test! :roll:

I had the Regional examiner in the back examining the conduct of my examiner, who was examining me. That made it nervous for a start.

Pulling into the test centre, switching off and promptly seeing smoke boil from the bonnet due to a burst oil line just added the final fly to the dog pile. We all bailed out - Regional Examiner having to wait as it was a 3 door.

I still passed though - he took pity on me as my car was gushing oil and was going to be walking home anyway. My driving instructor was torn between crying for his car and laughing to death at the examiners panic.

Turning right across a dual carraigeway.

I stalled the car as I started out across the other side and stopped sideways on in the 2nd lane as a Volvo was bearing down on the instructors' side of the car... he was remarkably calm and just said, "turn the key, and into 1st" or something like that.

On the day of my test, i had to use a totally different car to what I'd been using for my lessons because it was in the garage apparently.

me too!

although it was cos my instructor had bought himself a new car two weeks before my test, so i only had two 1 hour lessons in it before the test.

it was horrble, like starting at the beginning again! old one was diesel, new one was petrol. and worst of all was that the indicator and windscreen wiper levers has swapped sides. it totally screwed my sense of left/right up! i failed that test as i kept putting the windscreen wipers on instead of indicating and kept stalling at junctions.

after moving to sheffield i started to learn again and ended up with a female instructor who i found out was still doing her training to qualify, which is why the lessons were cheap. didnt think much of it at the time, but she was downright unsafe!

did nothing but talk about how her husband was a dentist and their big house, or was talking on her phone (handsfree) all lesson. she was useless.

i ended up pulling out on a car at bramall lane roundabout and she went ballistic at me, so i went ballistic at her and told her she should get off the phone and pay attention so she can stop me making mistakes like that!

turned out the she failed her driving instructor 'test' a week later so i ended up with a really good instructor for the same price as the rubbish one :hihi:

Archived