HMV Closes 60 Stores

whats wrong with buying albums from tesco/asda?:loopy: its convinent and much cheaper then HMV

Because they sell a ridiculously limited range? Because you can't browse through a choice of thousands of titles to look for something new or different? I can't imagine much worse than the supermarkets being the only place to buy music.

The one thing music retailers offer that you can't get elsewhere is the range - yes, you can get a range online, but you usually have to know what you're looking for in the first place. I have bought many a CD in a music retailer because it looked interesting, or they were playing it in-store, or I took a punt because it was on offer. It's hard to 'come across' new music online and impossible in supermarkets which only sell a very limited range of the most popular stuff.

I only moved to Sheffield in 1998 so I missed its predecessor.

Ah i used to hang around warp and its smaller predessesser fon(stood for **** off nazis alledgedly) which had loads of punk records up these small rickety stairs lol

Record Collector should survive because shopping there is a pleasant experience and they are very good at second guessing what sort of records the customers they are aiming for will want to buy. I'm willing to pay more at RC because I'm not just buying a record but the memories of buying that record are always more precious that clicking on a computer.

HMV's problem is that go for mainstream punters but they can't/won't compete on price with ASDA/Tesco nevermind Amazon. So who's going to shop there?

Anyone remember Violet May's at the bottom of the Moor? Fantastic place!

Ah i used to hang around warp and its smaller predessesser fon(stood for **** off nazis alledgedly) which had loads of punk records up these small rickety stairs lol

Maybe the independents will get another bite of the Cherry. I miss Hitsville Records and especially Kenny's Records. Both shops stocked stuff I've never seen in HMV.

Does HMV stock local self produced CDs like Record Collector does?

And is that second hand record shop still open on Howard St.?

well, i know it is only a very small number but is this the start of the end for the music shop as we know it,

everytime i go to HMV in town it is always busy, even with the bad snow so i cant accept that the weather will be to blame

or even music download sites as HMV have had their own site for a few years now so they must make money off that

it is a sad time for album buyers and downloading music is not the same as holding an actual album

i remember back in the 90's when OUR PRICE, HILLSBOROUGH RECORDS and VIRGIN MEGASTORE was around, and HMV having all these wooden buckets with all this vinyl in before the compact disk become big, it was a little treasure trove

Yes, but they charge less online than in their shops, and then wonder why people don't go in the shops!

With logic and reasoning like that, they'll be out of business soon.

Maybe the independents will get another bite of the Cherry. I miss Hitsville Records and especially Kenny's Records. Both shops stocked stuff I've never seen in HMV.

yeah i used to love kennys and hitsville too (even being a punker :P)

i miss the 10pence 7"s boxes and 50pence / £1 album boxes most tho :P

in fact on a side note, a few months ago i bought back a bunch of punk 7"s i'd sold a mate when i first moved up here in the early 90s and a couple of em had white "record shop" sleeves with kennys records address printed on em, that brought the memories back :P

yeah i used to love kennys and hitsville too (even being a punker :P)

i miss the 10pence 7"s boxes and 50pence / £1 album boxes most tho :P

in fact on a side note, a few months ago i bought back a bunch of punk 7"s i'd sold a mate when i first moved up here in the early 90s and a couple of em had white "record shop" sleeves with kennys records address printed on em, that brought the memories back :P

was kennys in the wicker

was kennys in the wicker

yeah

hitsville was round the corner from the old firestation on division street, kenny worked there but i believe he feined illness, next thing they knew he'd set up his own shop on the wicker lol, used to have wallpaper tables outside with boxes of cheapies in

Because they sell a ridiculously limited range? Because you can't browse through a choice of thousands of titles to look for something new or different? I can't imagine much worse than the supermarkets being the only place to buy music.

The one thing music retailers offer that you can't get elsewhere is the range - yes, you can get a range online, but you usually have to know what you're looking for in the first place. I have bought many a CD in a music retailer because it looked interesting, or they were playing it in-store, or I took a punt because it was on offer. It's hard to 'come across' new music online and impossible in supermarkets which only sell a very limited range of the most popular stuff.

if you want top 40 you go tesco if you want to browse though anything that was ever made surely you do it on the net wouldnt you:huh:

Archived