Freezing cold pensioners

The problem can only get worse now that the tories have scrapped the warden services for the elderly.The more vulnerable elderly used to get a daily visit in their own homes from a warden, but the tories are doing away with them. Old people will be left to die, but that is what tories do unfortunately. Tories say stuff like "It is necessary to reduce the surplus population"

Does this really happen in this day and age.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

No, it doesn't. All pensioners get £400 towards their winter heating bill - if that doesn't cover their winter heating bill there is something very seriously wrong with their heating system!

Not only that, but any pensioner who has an income of £130 a week or less will get another £25 every time the average temperature remains below zero for a week. It's frankly impossible for any pensioner to be unable to afford to heat themselves.

£400? I don't think so ... :suspect: AFAIK, it's £250 for the over 60s and £400 for the over 80s, living alone. If there are two people living in the same household, it's shared.

It should be means tested and not given to people living abroad, in my opinion. Pensioners who have an income of £131 per week are in trouble though, as we don't get cold weather payments, even though we still experience the cold weather.

When asked about pensioners freezing to death in the 1980's a typical tory (Edwina Curry) told pensioners to wear wooly hats and longjohns in a "let them eat cake " type statement.

Labour have done a lot to alleviate the deaths of pensioners from hypothermia but this government will start killing the elderly again. The policies to do that are already taking shape.

When asked about pensioners freezing to death in the 1980's a typical tory (Edwina Curry) told pensioners to wear wooly hats and longjohns in a "let them eat cake " type statement.

Labour have done a lot to alleviate the deaths of pensioners from hypothermia but this government will start killing the elderly again. The policies to do that are already taking shape.

I think that's good advice really, we're supposed to be trying to conserve energy, after all. Who was it that said we should bathe together to save water during drought periods? That'd be a Tory as well, I suppose ...

My mother always used to say "put your cardigan/jumper on" when we moaned about being chilly as kids. We had to dress warmly in the 50s, as no-one had central heating then.

I think that's good advice really, we're supposed to be trying to conserve energy, after all. Who was it that said we should bathe together to save water during drought periods? That'd be a Tory as well, I suppose ...

My mother always used to say "put your cardigan/jumper on" when we moaned about being chilly as kids. We had to dress warmly in the 50s, as no-one had central heating then.

It is good advice to wear more clothing in addition to having the heating on. Edwina however meant people to wear the clothing instead of having heating on because of the cost. There were many deaths of old people through hypothermia in the tory era. This lot are attacking the elderly already.

It is good advice to wear more clothing in addition to having the heating on. Edwina however meant people to wear the clothing instead of having heating on because of the cost. There were many deaths of old people through hypothermia in the tory era. This lot are attacking the elderly already.
I think we're arguing the same point, except that you want to bring a skewed political agenda into it. As we've both said, it's good advice, to keep the heating on low and wear warm clothing (and a hat if necessary) if we're just sitting around. We should all be doing that, not just 80 yr olds.

Unless we're fortunate to be very rich, we all have to budget. It's not just the very old people that have low incomes, as Classic Rock has just pointed out.

Archived