VAT on fuel - are we being ripped off?

Why are some people so intent on dragging us back into the dark ages to save a few CO2 immisions ?

compared to the USA and china , what this country pumps into the air is nothing.

If some people want to go back to the middle ages and use cycle power and horses , thats their choice , but i will stick to my car thank you . :thumbsup:

We have a winner!!!!!

Anyone who suggests we reduce car reliance, stop raising a generation of car-reliant slugs, stop half of all urban car journeys being under 2 miles in distance, "WANTS US TO WEAR POTATO SACKS AND SUCK BONES!!!!!111111eleven!"

Jesus H Corbett.

Actually manofstrad did suggest the egyptian slavers was a solutiion, so yes, someone is suggesting it, the person i was responding to.

No, Egyptian slaves were not proposed as a solution, they were offered as an example of achievements that can be made without a car.

Understand?

Really?

In 1900 there were 1.8 Billion people in the world. Not because they were all practising contraception, nor because half of them were gay.

They were breeding like rabbits and dying like flies.

Along came 'modern society' with advances in health care, advances in medicine and advances in food production. Many of which were directly attributable to the advances in transportation brought about by the use and development of fossil fuels.

Take away the ability to move people, goods (and food) around the world and see what happens to the mortality rate.

The 'going rate' for an ambulance response in South Yorkshire is 8 minutes.

How fast is your horse?

Hospitals require electricity.

Where are you going to get it from?

They also need doctors and nurses on site.

Are they going to be expected to live there?

We could indeed go back to 'the good old days'. Perhaps we will.

Grave diggers managed with manual shovels. I'm sure they could do that again, too.

You're doing that obstacle thing Rupert_baehr.

Who (and how many people) should be permitted to operate cars, Spinny?

Anyone. Subject to a taxation level that reflects the external costs of cars. For an average use urban saloon this amounts to an extra £1000 a year. It's happening anyway, road tolls are inevitable, schemes like London's congestion charge will spread, even the Americans now acknowledge traffic expands to fill road space.

Car usage is kept unnaturally low by hidden subsidies, it's time for motorists to pay up and stop whining.

No, Egyptian slaves were not proposed as a solution, they were offered as an example of achievements that can be made without a car.

Understand?

So i should use slaves to power my van, but not necessarily jewish slaves under the Pharao? Maybe kosovans as they are not that popular these days? Or somalians, not covering themselves in glory? Or maybe kurds?

Archived