Antagonists on Sheffield Forum

Are "deliberately mischievous comments" against the forum rules?

a. Comply with our Terms listed above;

b. Not contain multiple words in capital letters unless an acronym;

c. Not be written entirely in bold;

d. Be written in English and avoid excessive ‘txt’ speech (L8R, Wknd, etc);

e. Contribute to the discussion, personal messages to other users are not allowed;

f. Not be duplicated, i.e. posting the same message in multiple areas or times;

g. Not artificially ‘bump’ an existing topic to the top of the list of topics; and

h. Have, when starting a new discussion, a descriptive and informative subject.

37. Your profile on the forum should:

a. Have (when applicable) a signature added by the software and not manually added;

b. Have a signature which does not contain more than three colours (including black);

c. Not have a signature containing lines of symbols (-, ~, *, etc);

d. Not have a signature containing affiliate or any form of tracking variables;

e. Not have a signature that occupies more than 4 vertical lines (viewed at 1024x76; and

f. Not have a signature containing more than 4 links (including max of 2 commercial links).

Moderator Message.

Would you prefer the one liner type mod message? I try to be reasonable, so please don't quote forum rules to me, I'm perfectly familiar with them. Your quote from me is taken in isolation and does not convey the point I was making.

If you have a problem with this the please feel free to contact the helpdesk! ;)

Do you constantly find that their are a series of repeat offenders on Sheffield Forum whose only purpose is to post infantile or 'jokey' comments in an attempt to belittle the poster and discredit their point with a brain dead remark?

Yes, and if you don't like it you can go

Wait, that's not it.

Moderator Message.

Would you prefer the one liner type mod message? I try to be reasonable, so please don't quote forum rules to me, I'm perfectly familiar with them. Your quote from me is taken in isolation and does not convey the point I was making.

If you have a problem with this the please feel free to contact the helpdesk! ;)

Oh dear Pete!

I do hope the ;) in your post was not 'deliberately mischievous '... :D

Blimey, sorry if I upset anyone

Seriously, deliberately mischievous posts are part of the cut and thrust of a debate, and don't belong in the bin marked "unacceptable behaviour", as it helps prevent the kind of turgid, anodyne debate you get when you subtract all humour, irony, sarcasm, and playing with tropes and stereotypes from a thread.

Just my $0.02, no intended target, just a general observation.

It's worth quoting the rules though, as they are (mostly) proscriptive rather than prescriptive - which is an interesting philosophical point from the perspective of getting people to follow them, IMO.

After all, I'm only obeying the rules -

14. You must only post contributions to the Website which are factually accurate or which are your genuinely held opinions based on true facts.

Blimey, sorry if I upset anyone

Seriously, deliberately mischievous posts are part of the cut and thrust of a debate, and don't belong in the bin marked "unacceptable behaviour", as it helps prevent the kind of turgid, anodyne debate you get when you subtract all humour, irony, sarcasm, and playing with tropes and stereotypes from a thread.

Just my $0.02, no intended target, just a general observation.

It's worth quoting the rules though, as they are proscriptive rather than prescriptive - which is an interesting philosophical point from the perspective of getting people to follow them, IMO.

After all, I'm only obeying the rules -

14. You must only post contributions to the Website which are factually accurate or which are your genuinely held opinions based on true facts.

...It would be if only the majority of posters had a clue to what you've just said. ;)

Classic example of this sort of behaviour on this thread:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1070866&page=4

Ironically, the 'antagonists' in that thread (one of which was me) had just come to an amicable agreement to cease posting for the benefit of the thread. Now you've put a post on that thread that is likely to start it all up again.

There's no excuse for vocabular ignorance in the age of the internet. That is my genuinely held opinion based on true facts

Facts normally are true in my opinion! :D. I agree with you though. Sorry for being sarcastic ... it's just how I read the post. I can't help what I write ... it just comes out of my fingers automatically and with little imagination, either brainular or fingerwise. (I honestly don't know why I'm posting this ... I put it down to gross stupidity on my behalf). :)

Ironically, the 'antagonists' in that thread (one of which was me) had just come to an amicable agreement to cease posting for the benefit of the thread. Now you've put a post on that thread that is likely to start it all up again.

I wouldn't go as far as saying you were one of the antagonists. I think it's clear to see who was causing the arguments on that thread :)

Arguing for arguments sake, springs to mind.

Archived