Antagonists on Sheffield Forum

Thing is, if people know theyre winding you up, theyre goingg to do it more.

Remember Rich? He used to allow himself to be wound up and eventually he couldnt even appear on here without a flock attacking him.

Dont raise to the bait, incorporate it into the thread, use it instead of fighting it.

I always behave!

Message boards are for people to freely state their opinions/ask for advice without being ripped to shreds by "idiots" who reply with "witty" ? comments. Clearly you are one such "idiot" !

'Pot, kettle and black' are words that spring to mind here! :D

Well thought out funny replies in context of the original thread are one thing ... calling someone an 'idiot' implies you think you're more intelligent then them, which frankly I find patronising. As you make so few posts, it's difficult to form a meaningful opinion of your mindset but defamatory remarks like 'Idiot' do you no favours! :)

When you say you get ripped to shreds by 'Idiots' ... It's hardly making you look too good is it? :)

Do you constantly find that their are a series of repeat offenders on Sheffield Forum whose only purpose is to post infantile or 'jokey' comments in an attempt to belittle the poster and discredit their point with a brain dead remark?

I find this a lot where they poke their nose into a civilised, intelligent thread and ruin it by acting as a provocateur and basically, "winding people up"....!

Any posts that you come across like this, I urge you to use the 'REPORT POST' link to the lower left of the offending / irritating / antagonistic post.

I appreciate that anyone is entitled to post their opinions freely on any topic but believe me, there are a set few out there who really are destroying this forum site and driving good conversation and debate into the ground with their antagonistic and patronising posts.

I find it amusing how you bleet on, on other threads about 'people being passionate about moaning' then start a thread moaning?? :loopy::help:

I've been using this forum for 5 years and mainly just come on to read, I very rarely post. Antagonists tend to come and go but I have to agree with Jabberwocky that the bickering can take a thread on a new direction and really liven things up. To be perfectly honest I love all the bickering and you can usually guess which sort of threads are prime suspects for that sort of behaviour! I think if you dont like what they're saying, just close the thread down and move onto another one :)

There will always be threads of certain types, if you your going to troll them with the intent of getting them closed then be aware another one will just pop up in it's place (just probably a bit worse, because of you!). Same with drugs, prostitutes, etc, they are all aspects of society and will always be there. So, if you've got nothing truly constructive to say...

If there is something that you feel is immature/destroying a thread report it, but the best thing you can do is just ignore it and not reply/respond to it.

If the deliberately inflammatory trolls don't get the reaction, they'll get bored.

Some of the "winding up posts" that appear to come from nowhere do add to a thread though sometimes. They start the topic off- or CAN start the topic off in new directions, its up to you how to deal with them. You can take the hump and/or report them or respond in god knows how many different ways to them and there are ways to incorporate the posts into the general argument- everybody adds to a thread and its rare that any comment is totally destructive if people dont allow it to be.

Some of the so-called trolls on here are among the best posters Ive ever come across and can really give a dying thread a fresh lease of life. Let `em get on with it, I say, they do good stuff!

Indeed jabbers, think how depressing the board would be without any funny stuff. Endless right wing whinging :(

The only answer I can give to this one is that if you've ever read a forum where everybody agrees and shares the same set of opinions it's deathly dull and boring, so disagreements are in some ways important for making a forum interesting and worth reading and participating in.

Of course, there's a difference between disagreement and deliberately winding someone up, so the easy answer is that if you see posts which you think are just set out to provoke without being a real opinion then please use the report function to ask the mod team to visit and don't post on the thread, as that will just make extra work for the mod team.

Indeed jabbers, think how depressing the board would be without any funny stuff. Endless right wing whinging :(

Mind if I slightly alter that?

Indeed jabbers, think how depressing the board would be without any funny stuff. Endless extremist whinging :(

Archived