Dominican republic

Dominican Republic is one big litter bin when you travel through it but changes when you hit the resort...

I went to Habibbi on the south side on the Caribean sea though the Atlantic side is just has nice.

Take lots of medicine for the runs the restaurants on the resorts are open with constant birds and insects all over the food and i got food poisoning and wasn't alone.

I went some years ago to the north side for a holiday. They are usually all inclusive and good value for money as opposed to the rest of the islands in the carribean. You have to realise that its a poor country with not a lot to do outside your resort. But if it's sun, sea and sand your after it's OK. As for getting tummy upsets, I didnt, but our medicines from home dont usually work on the bugs you get abroad, as we just found out in Egypt, and you simply go to the pharmacy there and your soon sorted. No use buying all the stuff here as it is false economy. It simply doesnt work.

hi hot chck : myself, hubby parents and sister, have been to riu palace twice now in Aug 2009 and aug 2010.

We loved it, if you treat people as you expect to be treat yourself you cannot go wrong with the palace or staff.

You will read bad reports on travel forums, but that is mainly the Canadians or Americans that complain.

Both times we got a taxi outside the complex to go to Hard rock cafe which is a brill night out, althought expensive, we also went on the safari trip which showed you how the other half lives, very sad when you go to the schools, we took loads of books pencils, crayons etc.

I want to go back again and to the same place, I have heard punta cana is the best resort to go to, if you decide to go enjoy.

We went for our Honeymoon in 2003 to a place called Bavaro...we stayed at a Riu hotel which was gorgeous....very clean and lovely food. Free mini-bar in our room with fridge full of beer and soft drinks...and 2 optics of your personal choice!!

It was not recommended to leave the hotel and wander round the local area but we took several trips...the best one been a helicopter transfer back to the airport (a 2 hour coach journey). What we did see of the Island on trips was fab....beautiful beaches and scenery and I would definately recommend the hotel.

I've considered it in the past but have heard too many bad stories. You'll be confined to your resort for the whole holiday, going out and exploring is a no no.

One couple I know went on a private guided tour and when they were in a remote area, the so called guide pulled a knife on them and told them if they wanted taking back then they needed to pay him loads of money.

If all you want from a holiday is sun, reading a book and lounging in one place then you'll be fine, just choose a hotel which gets good ratings and feedback on Trip Advisor.

Archived