Were 1970's ladies nicer?

Yes, but look how the men have changed too. Compare those typical 70s men, all booted and suited, nice hair, bright eyed and cute with the bald, tattoed aggressive looking specimens or chav types around today.

Booted and Suited eh....ex mod?

I was just in my teens in the early 70's. It was mainly horrible! The girls were mainly horrible too ... they liked crap like Sweet, Gary Glitter, The Rubettes, Alvin Stardust! :gag::gag:

My first girlfriend was immediately dumped one day when she turned up wearing Bay City Rollers tartan ... Jeez, makes me shiver!

Don't forget that at this time there were bands who could actually write and play music ... Yes (With the amazing Rick Wakeman), Genesis (Peter Gabriel), David Bowie was busy being androgynous as Ziggy Stardust.

Fortunately for me, the most beautiful and lusted over girl at my school was also into these bands so it was quite easy to get into her kn ... er ... go out with her, whilst most of the spotty blokes were doing the Jukebox Jive down the crappy youth club. :D

• 2 months later...
There are some classy ladies left over these days. I myself am mortified at the way some girls act. I class myself as a lady and would never act how some of the ladettes act on a night out. Maybe we are a dying breed.

Yep. Spot on. To be honest, I do not like name labelling, but yes, I get the images that people are trying to paint here. Isn't it one of morality and responsibility? I too was born in the 70s too. I think that the people who felt liberated and were parents, often say "what can you do, they have a mind of their own" created the generation after that. Now that people are free, mouthy, and have all the rights that they want, and is a part of the global society, well.. what is left for anyone to aspire to ???

I am glad for my mother being strict with me, and shielded me from harm too. In turn, I will accept, and shield her from harm when she gets to her old age, and I too would shield my kids from harm too, and not to become too selfish, and be a part of this selfish generation. Individual responsibility ? It's lost. It is more of a collective responsibility now. That is not quite right either... I do not want society to tell me how to parent and to check my decency to be a parent, just because of one or two incidences happening somewhere else. I do not want society and its rules to harrass me on how I throw my food rubbish and which bin it is supposed to be in. Am I caught up in the "too much info" generation? Yes, I am. I do not want to be fixing all social ills, global ills, AND more. How can life be simple ? I too wish I lived in the 60s with hopes, aspiration, inspiration, and little harrassment from society of how one should be.

Archived