Does Taking Glucosamine supplements for arthritis Work?

Does Taking Glucosamine supplements for arthritis Work?

is it safe to take the daily dose of Glucosamine, Ginseng, and Garlic all at once , so i dont forget to take them?

Didn't do a thing for me, in fact nothing did,all a waste of money.

According to a study recently published in the BMJ no it doesn't.

The conclusion of the study was

Compared with placebo, glucosamine, chondroitin, and their combination do not reduce joint pain or have an impact on narrowing of joint space. Health authorities and health insurers should not cover the costs of these preparations, and new prescriptions to patients who have not received treatment should be discouraged.

However, a publication on behalf of the Arthritis Research UK working group on complimentary and alternative medicines, concluded that among all the alternative therapies

The present review found consistent evidence that capsaicin gel and S-adenosyl methionine were effective in the management of OA.

My personal caveat is that the efficacy of these 2 things is probably based mostly around the reduction of pain rather than improvement of the joint itself (I haven't been bothered to actually fully read the papers)

When my dog developed arthritis, I took to giving her chews with glucosamine and other stuff in them, and there was definitely an improvement!!! When I switched to giving her glucosamine in her food, it continued to help her.

Ive taken Glucosamine & Chondroitin for 10 years and never have any trouble with my joints. You have to take a high dose though.:) Also take Vitamin D.

Same here! It has worked for me. I used to have knee and wrist problems until I started taking it. Wouldn't be without it.

Glucosamine seems to work pretty well for the people who make it.

There's a bottle (which my wife bought) in our bathroom cabinet. It's been there for nearly 3 years and she hasn't complained of arthritis since she bought it.

It seems to keep away the elephants, too.

Archived