Charles Ross,Structural Engineers,London Road

Sotonowl

Yep, that's correct, I used to catch the 28 bus from Herdings and get off outside Blakes then walk up Queens Road and then along London Road to work at Charles Ross's which was opposite Broadfield Road. If we had a delivery of steel we would stop the traffic on London Road the wagons would have to drive into Broadfield Road and then reverse into the workshop entrance.

---------- Post added 13-09-2014 at 10:09 ----------

I remember the yard crane (perhaps the only crane) was the old Scotch Derrick type and due to the limited space, it straddled the river. The cranes pivot (slewing ring), mast hoist, etc., were set up on the London Road side of the Sheaf while the back legs were anchored to large concrete blocks on the other side of the river. Does anyone remember this?.

I worked a lot with cranes over the years but I have never seen anything quite like the Ross Crane set up.

Regards

Yep, that's correct, I used to catch the 28 bus from Herdings and get off outside Blakes then walk up Queens Road and then along London Road to work at Charles Ross's which was opposite Broadfield Road. If we had a delivery of steel we would stop the traffic on London Road the wagons would have to drive into Broadfield Road and then reverse into the workshop entrance.

---------- Post added 13-09-2014 at 10:09 ----------

I remember the yard crane (perhaps the only crane) was the old Scotch Derrick type and due to the limited space, it straddled the river. The cranes pivot (slewing ring), mast hoist, etc., were set up on the London Road side of the Sheaf while the back legs were anchored to large concrete blocks on the other side of the river. Does anyone remember this?.

I worked a lot with cranes over the years but I have never seen anything quite like the Ross Crane set up.

Regards

I can't remember that but wouldn't have been really looking for it in those days, i would notice it now though. I used to sit in the cab whilst the driver drove the crane sometimes, what an old relic it was as was the workshop itself, had a drive shaft right down the middle which ran all sorts of machines

Archived