Straw criticised for abuse comments !

It's quite simple spooky3, there's a close correlation between crime, poverty and education and ethnic minorities are disproportionally represented in being poor and poorly educated.

The rate of offending and recivdism in poor white folks is about the same as it is in poor black ones. You see vast reductions in criminality as people move up the social scale, whatever colour they are.

The 80% white inmates (i've just realised that that indicates that the white British count is actually lower because that includes non British whites) was quoted on the "The Big Questions" programme, I'll have to do another search for the percentage of whites for the country.

It may have been this...

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Demography_of_England#Ethnicity

Which actually is a lower figure (hung over yesterday morning, but got up early to watch that programme, i've missed it!)

But these two also quote the same year (2001) and both have different answers!

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_the_United_Kingdom#2001_Census_ethnicity_results

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/White_British

Interesting how much difference there is between the years though!

So the other factor is when were these people locked up / length of sentence.

It's quite simple spooky3, there's a close correlation between crime, poverty and education and ethnic minorities are disproportionally represented in being poor and poorly educated.

The rate of offending and recivdism in poor white folks is about the same as it is in poor black ones. You see vast reductions in criminality as people move up the social scale, whatever colour they are.

It's one of the few Labour slogans I whole heartedly agreed with...

Education, education, education!

The 80% white inmates (i've just realised that that indicates that the white British count is actually lower because that includes non British whites) was quoted on the "The Big Questions" programme, I'll have to do another search for the percentage of whites for the country.

You're not re-inventing the wheel spooky! It's well documented that non whites are over represented in the prison population, mainly for the reasons Ive described. I dont know the crime rate figures for white non Brits, but at a guess I'd assume the majority of them fall into the lower demographic classifications.

You're not re-inventing the wheel spooky! It's well documented that non whites are over represented in the prison population, mainly for the reasons Ive described. I dont know the crime rate figures for white non Brits, but at a guess I'd assume the majority of them fall into the lower demographic classifications.

mmm, sad but probably true. I'd also like to see a division in numbers concerning BME who have been here for a long time, if anything just to see if the UK (system) has a positive effect on people. Personally i've only ever known one person i'd even consider a wierdo like this and he was white white white, and yes I dropped the dime...

To clarify, that that 80% was AFAIK only concerning pedophiles and rapists!

mmm, sad but probably true.
It's sad but dont get specifically disconsolate about the plight of prisoners who are from ethnic minorities-the features of their lives that put them there are the same ones that afflict the white working class who end up in prison as well.

I'd also like to see a division in numbers concerning BME who have been here for a long time, if anything just to see if the UK (system) has a positive effect on people.

The jury might be out on that one, the offending rates amongst 2nd generation immigrants is worse than 1st generation ones. In fact the case in the OP illustrates the point, the defendants were British born Asians, and I bet their fathers didnt go around grooming and raping teenage children.

To clarify, that that 80% was AFAIK only concerning pedophiles and rapists!

I heard the statistic too, but would want to see it's source before commenting further.

I'm lost?

The statistics show that non white British are 1 and half times more likely to be convicted of such crimes, whereas actual white British are 30% less likely.

I'm not wanting to offend any side!

I like to base my views on evidence and not hide behind political correctness!

If anyone is offended by those figures, they are the facts...

Agree 100% but the facts are that calling a spade a spade is classed as racist.

Just a thought on that, it's interesting people are saying Asian men instead of muslim men. Why do you think they'd do that huh?

Indeed by using Asian in this context, it could be perceived as a slight against people of many other Asian origins; Sikhs, Hindu's, Chinese, Russian, Mongolian etc, so if we are going to be politically correct so as not to offend people of other Asian heritages, we should be saying Muslim.

Agree 100% but the facts are that calling a spade a spade is classed as racist.

No it's not Bassman or should I say only in the mind of those who believe they suffer persecution at the hands of multiculturism!

Just for the record, spades are still spades, black coffee is still black, as are the baa sheep, the only thing that's changed are whiteboards, but then the term now actually best describes what they are.

Permission to remove tin helmet granted :hihi:

Indeed by using Asian in this context, it could be perceived as a slight against people of many other Asian origins; Sikhs, Hindu's, Chinese, Russian, Mongolian etc, so if we are going to be politically correct so as not to offend people of other Asian heritages, we should be saying Muslim.

But they are Asians, and might not be Muslims?

Archived