Straw criticised for abuse comments !

First paragraph is a very poor defence of Europeans wiping out the Native Americans and the English imposing their language culture and religion on the land. What you have admitted is that the Europeans damaged the way of life of the Native Americans for ever.

This is also the same for Australia. "The Fatal Shore" is an excellent read.

there have been bases the world over for decades. always makes the local antsy.

There with the permission of the governments concerned. And they provide many jobs and income for the local economies.

The Germans have never complained about British or American bases there, and I heard they were quite dismayed when they heard all British troops would be relocating back from Germany to the UK because of the impact it will have on their economies at a local level.

The point is that you're out of touch with the reality of the situation regarding bases on foreign soil.

i have no opinion either way on bases on foreign soil. never expressed one. but i do know from personal experience (there's one in Botswana). the government love it coz they get de facto protection. the locals hate it.

There with the permission of the governments concerned. And they provide many jobs and income for the local economies.

The Germans have never complained about British or American bases there, and I heard they were quite dismayed when they heard all British troops would be relocating back from Germany to the UK because of the impact it will have on their economies at a local level.

the Americans stayed as part of the surrender agreement. hardly a ringing endorsement of 'please come in'. the south Korea ones are somewhat different.

you're right though, they do provide jobs etc and, in the case of south Korea, needed protection( or a base to watch china from if you are into conspiracy theories).

the problem has always been the cultural and environmental impact. the villages around the base in Botswana have unusually high rates of mixed race fatherless kids etc among other thing.

but you have to take the good with the bad.

the reason i chimed in was only to say there've been bases 'occupying' foreign lands before 9/11.

That doesn't infer occupation! :loopy:

depends on who's looking. the locals say occupation, the soldiers say 'base'. depends who you want to stand with. we see that all the time in Iraq or Afghanistan. allies say 'operation' locals say 'invasion' or 'occupation'.

Archived