Serious advice needed.

Its in Egypt. nothing set on stone but accomodation and job would be provided.

I do not have many ties keeping me in Britian and i am a confident woman anyway so the stress etc would not worry me too much, would see it more of a challenge than stress.

It is my son who is my main concern, in the Uk he has a lot of support out in Egypt i am not too sure if they could meet his needs.

With the best will in the world I doubt Egypt could provide the support your son needs and currently gets for free with the NHS. unless this job is incredibly well paid its not worth it

The majority of people I know who have gone, have also come back too. The few who are still in far off lands are all either in the US or Canada. (Even the ones who moved to Australia have come back.)

I don't know your situation but it could be the making or breaking if kids are involved.

Depends where.

I have known several who have returned to the UK, especially from Canada, who have regretted it and returned to Canada. Some have repeated it more than once. It's often the wife who misses the family back home, then finds she's lost friends in the time she's been away. It's expensive too. Many US immigrants stay put because they will lose their green card status after a year out of the country. Australia is so far away, it tends to make people honesick. North America is only six hours away. A train journey from Sheffield to Penzance is longer than that.

If you had the chance to relocate abroad would you do it?

If you could walk into a job and accomodation.

What if you had an austitic child who had special needs, would you risk it for their sake?

would the stress be too much?

I think you would find entry to the US difficult unless you could prove you had enough money available to take care of an autistic child. Canada might be more welcoming. It has a good social welfare system going, but the winters can be tough if you're not used to the cold.

If you had the chance to relocate abroad would you do it?

If you could walk into a job and accomodation.

What if you had an austitic child who had special needs, would you risk it for their sake?

would the stress be too much?

It would depend on where, what was on offer job wise (including any perks/benefits) and how your family would react.

Before making the move, try to see if you can take a trip out to the region they would like you to be. Explore exactly what is available to you in regards of support to your childs autism in regards of education and support. See if you can talk to other expats who will be living in the area work will be sending you too and see how hard it is for the English to be apart of the local community.

You should consider would this be long or short term move? Would it be worth it for x years to uproot your family and everything for work? If long term, consider on where you want to be at retirement and if this new country can help play a role in it.

If possible, talk to other Brits working for the company and see how they feel about moving to work for the company. See how the company handled relocation and shipping of your goods. Query to see how they handled difficult visa issues as well.

Also a good place to go to is a forum for British in Egypt. A good goolge search may help bring back some info

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690873

I have known several who have returned to the UK, especially from Canada, who have regretted it and returned to Canada. Some have repeated it more than once. It's often the wife who misses the family back home, then finds she's lost friends in the time she's been away. It's expensive too. Many US immigrants stay put because they will lose their green card status after a year out of the country. Australia is so far away, it tends to make people honesick. North America is only six hours away. A train journey from Sheffield to Penzance is longer than that.

I know a few people who are their third re-patriotation back to the UK from the US. Its not cheap (especially spousal visas run about £400 each) People find after sometime they no longer have roots ANYWHERE as one part of the family became distant with the first move, and the other side followed with a second. People always say theyll stay in touch but they dont. Its hard to be an ex-pat. People who say different are lying.

---------------------------------

It not easy moving abroad, even from the US to here. We may all speak the same language (we do, even if some forumers disagree), but it is a completely different culture. Almost 6 years in and Im still adjusting, and I spent summers here until age twelve. Silly things will wind you up, but you cant do anything about it because its just not done where you now are.

Its hard being away from simple comforts, and no matter how long your in your new home, youll always know that you never fully belong. Youll always have two homes (I constantly refer back to my fathers house in NY and my house here as home) and feel like youre missing out on SOMETHING but never really know what.

Its a heavy choice, moving abroad. Talk it out with friends and family and see what they say before doing anything dramatic.

I never regret moving away from the US and much prefer it here (Salary is better, NHS, easy to travel and not pay through the nose) and it would take a hell of a lot to make me go back.

Its in Egypt. nothing set on stone but accomodation and job would be provided.

I do not have many ties keeping me in Britian and i am a confident woman anyway so the stress etc would not worry me too much, would see it more of a challenge than stress.

It is my son who is my main concern, in the Uk he has a lot of support out in Egypt i am not too sure if they could meet his needs.

Please do not take this the wrong way, but your not serious.Egypt is not the place to go with an autistic child.

Archived