Cancer Causing Sweetener On Sale in The UK

Hello

http://www.ehow.com/about_5291292_cyclamate-side-effects.html

I've been taking sweeteners recently with my tea, coffee and porridge. A week ago I began to feel ill. I had mouth ulcers and was generally under the weather. So I did some research. I looked at any changes to my diet first. I realised that I had been using a sweetener called Cyclamate which I bought instead of the usual one.

I was shocked to see that the substance is banned in the USA and has been since the 60's because American scientists feel they cause cancer and are generally poisonous, with many side effects, including mouth ulcers.

It makes you wonder what else is on sale that other countries have banned? It comes to something when customers have to Google a product before purchasing it from a major retailer.....

The American food and drug administration have confirmed that it isn't cancer causing but haven't taken it off the ban list. Also, the original study has not been replicated (despite further studies) and anyway the original test equated to 300 cans of coke a day.

I didn't note the later study until after I posted the thread :loopy: I was reading up on it the other day and there was no mention of it on the other stuff I read. I posted this link a little lazily I admit :help:

However, I would not touch the stuff again and neither should anyone else..

I used to fire three sugars into big mugs of tea. I just stopped one day and now can't drink it with sugar. Use a good quality tea and you might find you like it without.

I tend to put honey on porridge.

I hate the taste of sweeteners but I remember years ago hearing that one of the main ones could be carcinogenic .. can't recall if it was aspartame or saccharin, though.

Archived