MP wants ALL men in Bristol DNA screened to find killer

I think people like me clearly have to be a lot more persuasive before the idea of a National (all inclusive) DNA database is accepted by enough people to make it a goer.

We also need to wait until the economy is in a much better position. The closure of the Forensic Science Service and slashing of police force forensic budgets are just one indicator of this being an absolute no goer in the near future. Sourcing external funding from private individuals or companies would be regarded as unethical.

I think you start from; Would it be a good thing to have everyones DNA on a database or not?

Even if you agree that it is desireable, we may then be in a position that so many people (even a sizeable minority) would be opposed that it would not be feasible to force all those people. In that case it would not be possible to create the database. I think this would likely be the case at the moment.

I think people like me clearly have to be a lot more persuasive before the idea of a National (all inclusive) DNA database is accepted by enough people to make it a goer.

You could make it voluntary..I've no doubt it would be very popular, in which case that would leave the criminals and those opposed to the system..and in turn would be most likely a minority, which would make police work that so much simpler.

I cannot believe how many nieive people there are in the world who would happily consent to giving the government their DNA. Just think about the bigger picture for a moment, or have a day off, seriously.

Why not just go the whole hog and microchip everyone at birth so the government can track you 24/7? I seriously doubt anyone reads Orwell anymore.

Edited by PuressenceUK

I cannot believe how many nieive people there are in the world who would happily consent to giving the goverment their DNA. Just think about the bigger picture for a moment, or have a day off, seriously.

Enlighten me

Enlighten me

Imagine a Britain where the government had samples of tissue and fluid from the entire community on file and a computerised databank of each individual's DNA profile.

Imagine then that not only law enforcement officials, but insurance companies, employers, schools, adoption agencies, and many other organisations could gain access to those files on a "need to know" basis or on a showing that access is "in the public interest." (or even if the government, *whoops* lost all the data as they have a nasty habit of doing).

Imagine then that an individual could be turned down for jobs, insurance, adoption, health care, banking services and other social services and benefits on the basis of information contained in her DNA profile, such as genetic disease, heritage, or someone else's subjective idea of a genetic flaw.

You would no longer be a free individual, but a tool of the state, reduced to little more than a drone. The next step is to remove money, and make all transactions cashless. We keep hearing about the cashless society all the time. Why? Because if banks and the goverment control your access to money electronically, again they have you over a barrel and can turn it on or off at anytime, freezing your assets.

Edited by PuressenceUK

I just couldn't believe when I read this on the BBC news site:

Jo Yeates murder case: MP backs DNA testing

Jo Yeates's murder was a terrible thing, but to suggest that an entire city's worth of men be screened is either misguided or just plain stupid. For the MP concerned (Kerry McCarthy) to suggest that most men wouldn't mind being asked for their DNA shows a serious detachment from reality.

Almost every person I know says they'd never provide a DNA sample to the authorities unless forced. And these are decent, law-abiding people. They just know that DNA records aren't deleted when a person is found innocent, and feel that the authorities don't have the right to retain that kind of personally identifying information.

I don't suppose it matters unless you plan to commit any sort of crime to be honest. Has anyone ever been wrongly charged after DNA testing proves positive? It's a long shot.

Imagine a Britain where the government had samples of tissue and fluid from the entire community on file and a computerised databank of each individual's DNA profile.

Imagine then that not only law enforcement officials, but insurance companies, employers, schools, adoption agencies, and many other organisations could gain access to those files on a "need to know" basis or on a showing that access is "in the public interest." (or even if the government, *whoops* lost all the data as they have a nasty habit of doing).

Imagine then that an individual could be turned down for jobs, insurance, adoption, health care, banking services and other social services and benefits on the basis of information contained in her DNA profile, such as genetic disease, heritage, or someone else's subjective idea of a genetic flaw.

You would no longer be a free individual, but a tool of the state, reduced to little more than a drone. The next step is to remove money, and make all transactions cashless. We keep hearing about the cashless society all the time. Why? Because if banks and the goverment control your access to money electronically, again they have you over a barrel and can turn it on or all at anytime, freezing your assets.

Wow that really is a doomsday scenario.

Is there anything (Data protection etc) that prevents prospective employers, insurance companies etc "requesting" a sample of your DNA? For the purposes of health insurance you already required to declare if any of your relatives or ancestors have succombed to any particular diseases.

Wow that really is a doomsday scenario.

Is there anything (Data protection etc) that prevents prospective employers, insurance companies etc "requesting" a sample of your DNA? For the purposes of health insurance you already required to declare if any of your relatives or ancestors have succombed to any particular diseases.

I still don't think you get it. Who makes the laws 'protecting' us? The same people who will have the data, so what difference will that make? If you give someone your DNA, you might as well give them your entire existence - which is exactly what the Big Brother state wants. Everyone catalogued. Everyone controlled - the 'New World Order' will finally be here.