MP wants ALL men in Bristol DNA screened to find killer

I personally wouldn't have a problem handing over DNA, just think how you would feel if it was your daughter....

I prefer to just know that I haven't murdered your or anyone else's daughter. In a free country, I should not have to go on some database in an attempt to prove a negative, regardless of the emotiveness of the case.

None of which were mentioned in your Sci-Fi post, but I shall respond nether the less.

The thing is, I'm not bothered by CCTV cameras, they're there to help. The police have used CCTV images to assist in their investiagtion into the Joanna Yates murder, and if someone is sneakily spying on me with their CCTV camera whilst i'm walking down the street, so what? I'm not up to anything, what's the issue? I'd rather them be there than not.

I have not personally been asked to give up any civil liberties, am I being left out or have I just not noticed? Nothing has changed for me since blowing folk up became more fashionable in recent times.

Recent times? We've had the IRA for 40 years now.... terrorism is not a valid excuse I'm afraid.

Recent times? We've had the IRA for 40 years now.... terrorism is not a valid excuse I'm afraid.

Whatever the reason, does CCTV effect your day to day life or stop you doing anything you wish to do within the law? I just don't see the problem if you're a law abiding citizen, nor would I have a problem if my DNA was required to help assist with a murder inquiry - anything to help.

Whatever the reason, does CCTV effect your day to day life or stop you doing anything you wish to do within the law? I just don't see the problem if you're a law abiding citizen, nor would I have a problem if my DNA was required to help assist with a murder inquiry - anything to help.

CCTV affects my life by not being very good at what it's supposed to be for while I and other tax-payers pay the bill for it.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23412867-tens-of-thousands-of-cctv-cameras-yet-80-of-crime-unsolved.do

London has 10,000 crime-fighting CCTV cameras which cost £200 million, figures show today.

But an analysis of the publicly funded spy network, which is owned and controlled by local authorities and Transport for London, has cast doubt on its ability to help solve crime.

A comparison of the number of cameras in each London borough with the proportion of crimes solved there found that police are no more likely to catch offenders in areas with hundreds of cameras than in those with hardly any.

In fact, four out of five of the boroughs with the most cameras have a record of solving crime that is below average.

CCTV affects my life by not being very good at what it's supposed to be for while I and other tax-payers pay the bill for it.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23412867-tens-of-thousands-of-cctv-cameras-yet-80-of-crime-unsolved.do

We all foot the bill for billions of things, some of which you will agree with, some of which you won't. Welcome to the lives and times of the British tax payer.

I would imagine that per year, per person, it amounts to a penny or two at most.

We all foot the bill for billions of things, some of which you will agree with, some of which you won't. Welcome to the lives and times of the British tax payer.

I would imagine that per year, per person, it amounts to a penny or two at most.

You may enjoy, and even see the benefits of your wasted pennies. I don't. I wonder why you think I disagree with CCTV, I never said I did, I just pointed out that it's a waste of money.

You may enjoy, and even see the benefits of your wasted pennies. I don't. I wonder why you think I disagree with CCTV, I never said I did, I just pointed out that it's a waste of money.

Quite true, I assumed because you said it was a waste of money that you didn't want it. Apologies

Quite true, I assumed because you said it was a waste of money that you didn't want it. Apologies
No worries, I can see why you might make that assumption. For others who can't be bothered to check the reported evidence, I shall paste it here:
• There are now 10,524 CCTV cameras in 32 London boroughs funded with Home Office grants totalling about £200million.

• Hackney has the most cameras - 1,484 - and has a better-than-average clearup rate of 22.2 per cent.

• Wandsworth has 993 cameras, Tower Hamlets, 824, Greenwich, 747 and Lewisham 730, but police in all four boroughs fail to reach the average 21 per cent crime clear-up rate for London.

• By contrast, boroughs such as Kensington and Chelsea, Sutton and Waltham Forest have fewer than 100 cameras each yet they still have clear-up rates of around 20 per cent.

• Police in Sutton have one of the highest clear-ups with 25 per cent.

• Brent police have the highest clear-up rate, with 25.9 per cent of crimes solved in 2006-07, even though the borough has only 164 cameras.

The figures appear to confirm earlier studies which have thrown doubt on the effectiveness of CCTV cameras.

So, in London, this study shows, that in terms of crime clear up rate - CCTV is a waste of money,