MP wants ALL men in Bristol DNA screened to find killer

They are welcome to mine, glad to help! Need any blood whilst your at it? :suspect:

I just hope people would help if any of my children were murdered!

How does it help for a person who knows they've done nothing wrong to provide a DNA sample that won't lead to finding the killer?

They are welcome to mine, glad to help! Need any blood whilst your at it? :suspect:

I just hope people would help if any of my children were murdered!

That is how I feel. I dont understand what is so awful about it.

why are people reluctant to provide their DNA ?

Because it is mine. And I don't trust the Government with it. Or the Police. Or the insurance companies.

And I haven't killed anyone.

How does it help for a person who knows they've done nothing wrong to provide a DNA sample that won't lead to finding the killer?

Wouldnt mass screening just help to eliminate lots of people. Where is the harm?

Because it is mine. And I don't trust the Government with it. Or the Police. Or the insurance companies.

And then there's the IT company contracted by the government to maintain and safeguard that database. (I don't know which company holds the DNA database, but it'll be one of the big ones) Even very secure IT infrastructures can be breached. And people can lose USB drives on trains etc. Such things have been shown to happen.

indeed

plus the police should do what they used to do......find the killer, NOT presume EVERYBODYS GUILTY untill they can prove theyre innocent

And then there's the IT company contracted by the government to maintain and safeguard that database. (I don't know which company holds the DNA database, but it'll be one of the big ones) Even very secure IT infrastructures can be breached. And people can lose USB drives on trains etc. Such things have been shown to happen.

Precisely. Factor in the as yet unknown information that we will be able to garner from a DNA sample and you have a comprehensive list of reasons for wanting to keep your DNA private.

Wouldnt mass screening just help to eliminate lots of people. Where is the harm?

In order to need to be eliminated, someone first needs to be suspected. In order to be suspected, you should have been seen in the vicinity of the crime, be unable to provide an alibi, and/or be shown to know the victim*. Living in the same city is not grounds for suspicion.

* Not an exhaustive list.