MP wants ALL men in Bristol DNA screened to find killer

Tin hat time!

If someone wanted incriminating evidence like that all they have to do is follow you and pick up the bottle you throw in a bin!

A DNA sample digitised on file would pose less of a risk. How would that be used to incriminate you at a crime scene?

they could pick up a bottle, but not know anything about you.

with a databse (which we know as a fact the government arnt that good at keeping secure at the best of times) they will have more details about you AND your dna

what dna being lost or stolen?

yes?

means your dna could be planted at future crimes.........or somebody pretending to be you

Possible maybe but pretty unlikely Id have thought. Wouldn't the positives of aiding detection outweigh the risk of this?

If everyone in the country was on a DNA database (just as they are on so many others) wouldnt that be the biggest crime deterrent?

Possible maybe but pretty unlikely Id have thought. Wouldn't the positives of aiding detection outweigh the risk of this?

If everyone in the country was on a DNA database (just as they are on so many others) wouldnt that be the biggest crime deterrent?

We used to have a really big crime deterrent - it was called the Death Penalty. And guess what - crime still happened.

All convicted criminals are on a DNA database. Yet we still have sky high recidivism rates.

So, no. It isn't a deterrant.

not really

our governments have proven time and again they cant look after these big databases

and why should we prove we're innocent? whatever happened to the old english agage innocent until PROVEN guilty?

do we really have to prove we didnt do something cos the police cant be arsed to do what they used to do?

they could pick up a bottle, but not know anything about you.

with a databse (which we know as a fact the government arnt that good at keeping secure at the best of times) they will have more details about you AND your dna

Why would they need to, but if they were trying to incriminate you then i'd expect they were targeting you! Either way, a little bit of an extreme conspiracy theory?

As to the details, what else can they use the DNA for?

Oh, they could let the NHS run massive batch scans for hereditary diseases, etc...

Help!

We used to have a really big crime deterrent - it was called the Death Penalty. And guess what - crime still happened.

I dont think you will ever eliminate crime no matter what the penalties are, but it would surely be a deterrent if you knew the police had your DNA on file. And even if it did not prove to be a deterrent it would surely help the clear up rate?

Why would they need to, but if they were trying to incriminate you then i'd expect they were targeting you! Either way, a little bit of an extreme conspiracy theory?

As to the details, what else can they use the DNA for?

Oh, they could let the NHS run massive batch scans for hereditary diseases, etc...

Help!

conspiracy or not............i for one cover my card cash machine when entering details, i rip up old bank statements etc

conspiracy theory or not? ive not had my bank details stolen yet........why would i want to help flash my whole dna about?

I dont think you will ever eliminate crime no matter what the penalties are, but it would surely be a deterrent if you knew the police had your DNA on file.

Just in case you missed it: :)

All convicted criminals are on a DNA database. Yet we still have sky high recidivism rates.

So, no. It isn't a deterrant.