MP wants ALL men in Bristol DNA screened to find killer

I dont think you will ever eliminate crime no matter what the penalties are, but it would surely be a deterrent if you knew the police had your DNA on file. And even if it did not prove to be a deterrent it would surely help the clear up rate?

as has been said

ALL convicted criminals have theirs taken, has crime decreased? no

not really

our governments have proven time and again they cant look after these big databases

and why should we prove we're innocent? whatever happened to the old english agage innocent until PROVEN guilty?

do we really have to prove we didnt do something cos the police cant be arsed to do what they used to do?

You are still innocent until proven guilty. Even suspects enjoy that right. I am genuinely struggling to understand what people are worried will happen , even if the database is lost. Humour me Methelbel and spell it out for me in words of less than three sylables.:)

You are still innocent until proven guilty. Even suspects enjoy that right. I am genuinely struggling to understand what people are worried will happen , even if the database is lost. Humour me Methelbel and spell it out for me in words of less than three sylables.:)

if we're all innocent, why dont they prove somebodys guilty then rather than think everybodys guilty and dna test everybody? whatever happened to old fashioned police work? too hard?

as has been said

ALL convicted criminals have theirs taken, has crime decreased? no

But we do not have a National Database and we do have some of this perpetrators DNA so it might help to solve this case?

if we're all innocent, why dont they prove somebodys guilty then rather than think everybodys guilty and dna test everybody? whatever happened to old fashioned police work? too hard?

Seems that sometimes the police cant catch criminals no matter how hard they try. Would it not be to the benefit of all good citezens to help them as much as possible. I'm not a criminal (yet) but I have no problem allowing my DNA to be on a database along side all the other info they already have.

What about all the other crimes that took place in Bristol? While they are at it, they could ask the whole population for their alibis to cover those crimes. It could be done on a daily basis for all new crimes. To make it even less work for the police, they could ask everyone to report to a police station daily and give an account of their actions on the previous day, with proof of course.

Seems that sometimes the police cant catch criminals no matter how hard they try. Would it not be to the benefit of all good citezens to help them as much as possible. I'm not a criminal (yet) but I have no problem allowing my DNA to be on a database along side all the other info they already have.

and whats to say they might lose it, it get stolen?

you may find yourself a criminal in the future?

...but the cost is prohibitive.

Maybe so but the principles of the arguement have to come down to more than cost. If not, are you saying that you would agree to a National DNA database if Aviva or someone would sponsor it?