Bus lane penalty charge notice

Ok ... I know there's a couple of old threads about this but none of them relevant.

My girlfriend was sent a lovely Christmas card of a photo of her in a bus lane by the nice people at sheffield City Council 'Parking services department'

The photo showed her in a bus lane at Gell street/Glossop road junction.

There are two lanes going upto the traffic lights at the junction of Glossop road ... she presumed the right hand lane was for turning right (up Hanover street to Brook hill roundabout) and the inside lane was for continuing straight on. She was just following the traffic in front of her.

She's not used to this road so was merely using common sense (when there's two lanes at a junction, one is for turning right and the other is for going straight on ... or left)

On top of this, I regularly use the 52 bus which often goes out of the bus lane into the right hand lane at this point, having thought about it in retrospect.

Ok ... hand up - she was in the wrong lane of a road she never uses normally and was using common sense to decide which lane to be in.

On the date of the 'offence' there was snow all over the place, it was dark and is patently obvious from the Christmas card photo from the Council, a lot of glare from other traffic. She was merely following the other four cars in front of her who can plainly be seen in the photo. (presume they got fined too)

She paid the fine by computer as soon as it came through her letterbox as she was threatened with it being doubled and was worried about getting points on her license (I know she wouldn't)

Point is I'm not looking for sympathy here (it doesn't affect me in real terms), but don't you think the Council is being rather unfair?

No, the council are just doing their job. There would have been a right to appeal (details of which are on the revers of the fine) You shou;ld have followed that route and the fine may have been waived.

Your g/f was sent the fine because she drove in the bus lane and the council fined her for that, it is your responsibility to appeal as opposed to the councils responsibility to decide if there were any contributing factors to the offence at the time of the ticket being issued.

Point is I'm not looking for sympathy here (it doesn't affect me in real terms), but don't you think the Council is being rather unfair?

Yes. But, unfortunately, it's not in the job specification to be fair.

When my 1st child was born there was some complications which resulted in my car being parked for two days instead of the one, with me unable to get to it. When I got the inevitable ticket I sent the cheque with a polite letter explaining my situation and they let me off.

So, sometimes a polite letter works, and the fact that there was snow covering the road markings and your gf was in unfamiliar territory might have convinced them. But I doubt it.

Anyway, it's paid now, so no chance.

Yes. But, unfortunately, it's not in the job specification to be fair.

Anyway, it's paid now, so no chance.

I'm certainly not looking to get her money back ... it'd be a futile excercise.

The point is, the Council were doing their job in the eyes of the law.

Shame they weren't joing their job in clearing the road of snow so the road markings were visible in the first place.

I guess they need to generate revenue somehow to revitalise the City centre which they've turned into a ghost town by discouraging motorists from visiting ... thus rendering most of the shops on the Moor vacant.

All they do is paint the empty shop fronts purple and put crap window displays in them!

If the Council were a private business they'd have gone bust years ago due to mismanagement and wasting money.

Fortunately for them, they have a never ending supply of cash due to ourselves paying taxes to support their ineptitudes and remain in business! :rant:

• 1 month later...
.........in a bus lane at Gell street/Glossop road junction.

There are two lanes going upto the traffic lights at the junction of Glossop road ... the right hand lane was for turning right (up Hanover street to Brook hill roundabout) and the inside lane was for continuing straight on. .. 52 bus which often goes out of the bus lane into the right hand lane at this point[/uPoint QUOTE]

I know this is an old thread but I cannot recall there being two lanes going up to the traffic lights at the junction of Glossop road and Upper Hanover Street. There is only one lane in each direction. If the offence is being in a bus lane as opposed to being in a non existant lane, then go to court and get the money back with compensation.

However there is a timed bus/tram etc 'gate' on the single lane stretch between Gell Street and Upper Hanover Street which is indicated by big signs on poles- (which are not covered by snow). If the offence is being in that lane between 4:30 and 6:30 Monday to Friday then .......

Archived