Is there a difference between 'hate crime' and terrorism'?

would you say someone who kills for, say, robbery should have the same punishment as someone who kills someone in a 'bar brawl', or someone who kills someone coz they were paid, maybe?

The bar brawler might have the defence that he wasn't intending to kill someone - but take that away (say, for example, he pulled a knife and slit a man's throat) and yes. As far as I'm concerned, all three are murders and all as bad as each other, and the man who kills someone because of being homosexual is no better and no worse.

The bar brawler might have the defence that he wasn't intending to kill someone - but take that away (say, for example, he pulled a knife and slit a man's throat) and yes. As far as I'm concerned, all three are murders and all as bad as each other, and the man who kills someone because of being homosexual is no better and no worse.

i think 'intention' goes to the heart of national and international law and rightly so. just saying 'a life is taken' is too simplistic. i think it'd mean either life in jail or the needle for everyone depending on where you are. and where would it leave the army etc? the man who kills to defend himself, his fam or property(not too sure about the property.)

would you say someone who kills for, say, robbery should have the same punishment as someone who kills someone in a 'bar brawl', or someone who kills someone coz they were paid, maybe?

A death in a bar brawl would usualy be considered Manslaughter.

Someone who kills during a robbery and a hitman is usualy charged with murder.

is the difference only a matter of casualties- in the sense that in 'terrorism' the casualties tend to be fatalities and 'hate crime' tends to leave shattered souls who then grow into damaged adults or adults whose lives are destroyed?

is the difference just a legal/political one?

i ask because, in the end, the base motivation for both heinous things is the same.

at the risk of sounding redundant, perhaps we could look at the causes and effects of both in their whole range instead of focusing too much on the inevitable...

No, there's an ideological difference, a hate crime is committed simply due to the hatred of that group. Terrorism is committed with a political aim and the intention of achieving that aim through causing terror amongst the population being targetted.

i think 'intention' goes to the heart of national and international law and rightly so. just saying 'a life is taken' is too simplistic. i think it'd mean either life in jail or the needle for everyone depending on where you are. and where would it leave the army etc? the man who kills to defend himself, his fam or property(not too sure about the property.)

In the UK you have the right to defend your property with reasonable force. Reasonable as always depending on the situation.

No, there's an ideological difference, a hate crime is committed simply due to the hatred of that group. Terrorism is committed with a political aim and the intention of achieving that aim through causing terror amongst the population being targetted.

would you say the bombing of gay bars a few years back was terrorism or hate crime? i get what you mean trying to work out where the line's drawn. or maybe, it's more a matter of degrees as opposed to either or.

In the UK you have the right to defend your property with reasonable force. Reasonable as always depending on the situation.

i know. it's the same world wide. i just don't think you ever should be allowed to kill simply to 'protect property' when your life is in no real danger. which the law seems to condone in the sates.

Archived