15000 Shelf stacking apprenticeships, government jobs plan

Its like this, if you have a pet dog and the dog has two food bowls.

You fill the 1st food bowl with dog food, and the 2nd bowl with budgie seed, I can guarantee that most dogs will choose the 1st bowl. Why does the dog choose the 1st bowl ?

The dog in this case has a choice.

You compare this to what youngsters face today, there are no apprenticeships and as such we have to give fancy names to jobs that are clearly unskilled - the young today have no choice

40 or 50 years ago, if you said to a youngster I will give you a choice "an apprenticeship to learn a trade such as plumbing, or an apprenticeship to learn a trade such as shelf stacking" - most youngsters would choose the skilled trade to do a 4 year apprenticeship in.

40 years ago we were more honest, I accept its not easy shelf stacking however its definatly not a skilled trade like plumbing? why ? because a skilled shelf stacker will be lucky to earn £7 an hour tops, whereas a skilled plumber could probably name his price.

I guess if the youngsters of today had a choice - many would opt for a skilled trade

It will give young people with no experience, experience and a reference and will show to potential employers that the apprentices can be punctual and responsible.

They aren't permanent positions so as soon as the apprentices are offered another job they can take it freeing up the place for another young person with no experience.

Presumably others will be kept on and given a pemanent position or even possibly put onto training schemes within the company taking them beyond the shelf stacking role.

How dare they?:hihi:

You do it then

I would have! I would have considered it my responsibility to pay my way even on a low wage. I would also have thought it was better to have an unskilled job on my cv than an "I was on the dole" section i.e. there are other things to consider other than monetary rewards.