15000 Shelf stacking apprenticeships, government jobs plan

So what happens to these JOBS that are obviously needed otherwise the companies wouldn't be having people doing it, apprentice or otherwise?

Since employment is set to rise further and people are in need of JOBS....

Why is it not a JOB paid at a proper wage, that someone who is unemployed, can take and thus be no longer unemployed?

Apprenticeships are generally for school leavers and young people, but at least it gives them some work and keeps them off the dole queue.

You're displeased that they want to employ people?

No one is being employed (they're not real jobs) and the scheme is sponsored by the government, which means Asda get (almost) free workers.

It is not a job it is an apprenticeship therefore it is perfectly reasonable to be given lower than the minimum wage as long as the course is of a high standard.

Not what I regard as an apprenticeship (when I did mine, I did Mon-Thur "in house" with Friday at college, followed by "in house" on Sats) and I got a skill (automotive engineering - mechanic). I just can't see these schemes offering anything like the same level of experience (or usefulness).

or it can when they start lending again.

By which time any competitors have gained an advantage and can offer proven results/items required.

This is sooo similar to what Thatcher did when introducing the "YOPS" initiative many years ago, yet people will try to say that the Conservatives have changed since then:rolleyes:.

Apprenticeships are generally for school leavers and young people, but at least it gives them some work and keeps them off the dole queue.

Apprenticeships are generally for school leavers and young people to learn a trade

Apprenticeships for shelf-stacking is not teaching a young person a trade

It is simply cutting costs and falsifying employment figures, using the glorified term "apprenticeship"

No one is being employed (they're not real jobs) and the scheme is sponsored by the government, which means Asda get (almost) free workers.

Read the article. These are jobs, that will be created by the private sector over the next few years.

Sainsbury's was among several firms at the summit hoping to expand its workforce over the coming year. Morrisons announced it would create 5,700 new jobs by opening new stores and 300 in manufacturing, while Tesco predicted 9,000 extra posts, the Co-op 1,000 and Asda 15,000 retail apprenticeships. Others included John Lewis and Microsoft (4,000 each), Centrica (2,600), InterContinental Hotels (around 1,000) and Kingfisher (several hundred).

Only Asda and Co-Op creating apprenticeships. An apprenticeship might not be a 'real job' to you or me, I doubt I'd be eligable at nearly 30. But for young people and school leavers, it's there as an opportunity.

Not what I regard as an apprenticeship (when I did mine, I did Mon-Thur "in house" with Friday at college, followed by "in house" on Sats) and I got a skill (automotive engineering - mechanic). I just can't see these schemes offering anything like the same level of experience (or usefulness).

By which time any competitors have gained an advantage and can offer proven results/items required.

This is sooo similar to what Thatcher did when introducing the "YOPS" initiative many years ago, yet people will try to say that the Conservatives have changed since then:rolleyes:.

You won't know what they will learn until you see a course description. They may well be taught stock taking, buying, marketing, management you just don't know and neither does anyone else on this thread so why the anger?

Apprenticeships are generally for school leavers and young people to learn a trade

It is simply cutting costs and falsifying employment figures, using the glorified term "apprenticeship"

Evidence please that they will only be shelf stackers. No reference to 'shelf stackers' anywhere in the article. It's a silly assumption if you think the only jobs at supermarkets are stacking shelves.

Who said it was an apprenticeship in shelf stacking, not asda, not the government but some random person on an internet forum!

you were very easily fooled!

Then this thread should be closed

well the title should be changed I agree hopefully most people actually read the article!

I don't like most supermarkets for other reasons but if asda want to subsidise getting unskilled school leavers a qualification in retail and a reference I don't see the evil in it. It may be that the course is a big pile of poo but without knowing whats in it its too early to judge it.

Edited by llamatron